Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Complete set of still water lines

Spot on Scythe. My thinking was-
    Floating for dry flies etc
    Midge Tip for very slow work over weed beds and buzzers
    Fast Glass intermediate 1.75-2ips for shallows and i like glass lines for slower fishing close to the surface. Didnt want to get a slow glass cause the midge tip does really shallow depths better.
    Di3 40 Plus I use for most of my fishing. I just love the 40+ so i can bomb it out past my opponent and fish his water first or reach new water first.
    Di5 Sweep cause the 5 doesnt really ever get fished. It gets over shadowed by he Di3 and he Di7. Just thought I would make it a sweep for those days when the fish are just to dispersed over the water columns or when they are reacting to a 'vertical jig' or hangs
    Di7 40 Plus for dredging the bottom

Things are very different on the drift boats. It often requires getting to the zones quickest and staying in them for as long as you can, at the same time you are drifting closer to your fly, obviously depending on the speed of the wind and size of your drogue. These lines are not for everyone, I just wanted to have every situation covered.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Hi
    Not so sure if this is correct.
    But heard that either the 40 plus, is discontinued, or being replaced with newer model.
    Personally, not the greatest fan of the 40 plus. To many snags, knots, while shooting lines.
    The best is to chat to those who fish it regularly, hear what they have to say about the lines.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Sup Maddy!

I think you're spot on with your choices. Midge Tip is a cracker of a line when the fish are just under the surface. I have the Airflo Ridge Supple Nymph and it is a favorite for me already.

I hardly ever use my SI, but FI and Di3 I use a lot and find they do have different applications. You can also now get a Airflo Sixth sense Medium Intermediate too.

Di5 is my least used, but never thought of trying the sweep (I have it in the 7). Methinks i will have to get one too!

Cheers
    G
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    I think the issue here is that all manufacturers line sink rates are not equal...
    I agree and even worse, some lines aren't properly density compensated at the tip, so you don't get a uniform sink action or even a tip down sink actions, sometimes you end up with a massive belly between you and the fly on the drop.

It's good idea not to only get the line for castability but also to check things like how the tip sinks etc. in addition to obviously things like memory, quality of coating, suitability for purpose ito varying water temperatures etc.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I agree and even worse, some lines aren't properly density compensated at the tip, so you don't get a uniform sink action or even a tip down sink actions, sometimes you end up with a massive belly between you and the fly on the drop.

It's good idea not to only get the line for castability but also to check things like how the tip sinks etc. in addition to obviously things like memory, quality of coating, suitability for purpose ito varying water temperatures etc.
    For sure! I already have a Airflow Ridgeline Floater, Sci Anglers Mastery glass inter (not too sure which one it is but it is amazing), 40+ Di3 which is also one of my favorites. My Di5 and 7 need to be replaced.
    So the 3 I was looking to get were the:
    Midge Tip: Sci Angler Mastery Wet Tip or the Airflow that Grant suggested (Its the Supple Impact two tone right? Coral and clear?) .
    Di5 Sweep: Airflow 6th Sense (unfortunately it looks like it only comes in a 7wt? Any one know of one that comes in a 6?)
    Di7: Think i might try out the 6th Sense. Makes more sense to go for feel over distance with a Di7.

Oooooh! And i found another one looking through the Airflow site - the Washing line! Dont know when I would every use it... but I wont know until I get one! Tackle junkie, who me?
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,

Gotta love the exchange rate - 4 lines R1347.00 Bargain!

That IS great value! Where did you get them from?
    Mike Mitchley

From the Airflow website - any two lines for GBP59.99. My sister is coming back next month so i wont even have to pay postage! Lekker!

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    For sure! I already have a Airflow Ridgeline Floater, Sci Anglers Mastery glass inter (not too sure which one it is but it is amazing), 40+ Di3 which is also one of my favorites. My Di5 and 7 need to be replaced.
    So the 3 I was looking to get were the:
    Midge Tip: Sci Angler Mastery Wet Tip or the Airflow that Grant suggested (Its the Supple Impact two tone right? Coral and clear?) .
    Di5 Sweep: Airflow 6th Sense (unfortunately it looks like it only comes in a 7wt? Any one know of one that comes in a 6?)
    Di7: Think i might try out the 6th Sense. Makes more sense to go for feel over distance with a Di7.

Oooooh! And i found another one looking through the Airflow site - the Washing line! Dont know when I would every use it... but I wont know until I get one! Tackle junkie, who me?
    Yeah the Midge tip is the same as you describe it. It is a wonderful line for both fishing and casting. I used it with good success at lakies this winter.

I Have a Di7 Sweep 7wt, and fish it on my 6wt Vision GTFour. Sometimes I do feel slightly out of control - nothing unmanageable if you keep it in mind. I have felt takes on the drop on the di7 sweep sixth sense so the non stretch is a big bonus.

All my stillwater lines are Airflo and all the subsurface are sixth sense. My floater and midge tip are ridge supple. I am very interested in the ridge clear floaters and intermediates they are making now but my current lines don't need replacing yet.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Yeah the Midge tip is the same as you describe it. It is a wonderful line for both fishing and casting. I used it with good success at lakies this winter.

I Have a Di7 Sweep 7wt, and fish it on my 6wt Vision GTFour. Sometimes I do feel slightly out of control - nothing unmanageable if you keep it in mind. I have felt takes on the drop on the di7 sweep sixth sense so the non stretch is a big bonus.

All my stillwater lines are Airflo and all the subsurface are sixth sense. My floater and midge tip are ridge supple. I am very interested in the ridge clear floaters and intermediates they are making now but my current lines don't need replacing yet.
    Schweet, shot! Any experiance with the washing line?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast