Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 84

Thread: NZ rigs, yarn indicators and the short comings

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,076

    Default

    The rig as per Michael's sketch is best scenario.
    Although the indicator's is IMHO, not the most sensitive strike detection method.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    One of the problems with the lighter fly, at the point is if you cast upstream, the lighter softer fly gets washed ahead of the "heavier" fly.
    This gives the trout, time to mouth the fly and eject it, without moving the indicator. With hungry trout or faster flowing rivers, it is not a problem.
    But with slower flowing water, pressurized fish etc, it gives them more than enough time to spit out the fly.
    In theory yes, but in practical application not always true. Smaller flies are often sparsely tied with slim profiles and will not always be "wash ahead" of the "heavier" fly.

    Furthermore, you can also mend your rig to ensure that the "control" or bigger fly is ahead (ie downstream) of the smaller "point" fly and ensure that you eradicate all slack from the rig so that when a fish touches the fly the indicator responds without the "delay" you are refering to.

    Rig also works well on clanwilliam yellows, my best yellow to date on an indicator rig.
    Last edited by nkula_nkula; 28-10-10 at 07:37 AM.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,076

    Default

    LOVELY FISH LIAM.

    Indicator yarn, with lighter flies on the point will catch fish.

    In certain conditions, they have MAJOR short comings.
    All I am doing is showing the MAJOR short comings in certain conditions.

    So, yes, you will catch fish with a thinner lighter fly on the point. But under certain conditions, you WILL NOT catch a fish with such a setup.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Parys, Free State
    Posts
    10,038

    Default

    I don't fish with yarn indicators anymore,instead I use a coloured piece of line coated with flypaint to act as an indicator if I feel I need one.Depending on the technique, sometimes I don't use the coloured line,only my barred flyline. Czech nymphing comes to mind.

    I also started doing Spanish Nymphing (in effect extended Polish) and the common "trait" of doing whatever technique correctly, placing whatever fly where on the rig, it doesn't matter, is having flies in different weights.

    When you have the "luxury" of being able to choose between 5 to 7 different weights,you can pretty much do whatever you like and still catch fish.Fly placement for me on a rig depends on the speed of the current,water depth and hatch.

    Yarn of the not I enjoy ALL forms Nymphing!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 28-10-10 at 07:56 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    One of the problems with the lighter fly, at the point is if you cast upstream, the lighter softer fly gets washed ahead of the "heavier" fly.
    This gives the trout, time to mouth the fly and eject it, without moving the indicator. With hungry trout or faster flowing rivers, it is not a problem.
    But with slower flowing water, pressurized fish etc, it gives them more than enough time to spit out the fly.
    That's what I said........


  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,076

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    I don't fish with yarn indicators anymore,instead I use a coloured piece of line coated with flypaint to act as an indicator if I feel I need one.Depending on the technique, sometimes I don't use the coloured line,only my barred flyline. Czech nymphing comes to mind.

    I also started doing Spanish Nymphing (in effect extended Polish) and the common "trait" of doing whatever technique correctly, placing whatever fly where on the rig, it doesn't matter, is having flies in different weights.

    When you have the "luxury" of being able to choose between 5 to 7 different weights,you can pretty much do whatever you like and still catch fish.Fly placement for me on a rig depends on the speed of the current,water depth and hatch.

    Yarn of the not I enjoy ALL forms Nymphing!
    Nogal 'n verandering in jou uitkyk.
    so maand of vier terug, het jy geglo en gehou van hoe die "dobbertjie" disappear.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    LOVELY FISH LIAM.

    Indicator yarn, with lighter flies on the point will catch fish.

    In certain conditions, they have MAJOR short comings.
    All I am doing is showing the MAJOR short comings in certain conditions.

    So, yes, you will catch fish with a thinner lighter fly on the point. But under certain conditions, you WILL NOT catch a fish with such a setup.
    Thanks Korrie

    Fair enough! Although I think your comment of "WILL NOT" catch fish is bit over the top, maybe will not catch as many fish as other techniques is a more fairer reflection.

    Its like saying a cdc nymph "WILL NOT" catch trout on the smalblaar...

    My ZAR 0.02
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Are you coming to the Vaal Trip at Oord Nebo on the the 6/7th November? I can show you then if you like.
    The loop method to attach the 4X to the leader above the knot, ensures the tippet is at a perfect 90ยบ angle to the leader's line. Also, don't make it too long (try 10cm) otherwise it will wrap all the time. And don't worry too much about it wrapping around the leader a few times, that's okay.
    The biggest problem I think you have is confidence in the set-up...if you are not confident with it, you won't have much success.
    It really is a great improvement on the conventional NZ rig.

    You can also try mini-tippet rings, they also work well to join leader sections and tippet sections.
    I have an appointment on the 6th, maybe I'll be able to sneak away early morning to come and join you.

    Although the indicator's is IMHO, not the most sensitive strike detection method.
    Then what method do you use to detect strikes?

    I used no strike indicator for two seasons (long line nymphing) but did very, very poorly last season. For some reason I just could not get into the fish. It was a difficult season, yes, but one should be catching still. While on the water, after again having tied the entire box to the line I decided to give an indicator another go again and lo and behold, I started picking up fish again. Very, very subtle takes I seemed to have been missing with no indicator.

    I started out this season with a indicator, but as always, I'm open to other methods and ideas (except Czech nymphing).
    Last edited by MyWorld; 28-10-10 at 12:03 PM.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nkula_nkula View Post
    Thanks Korrie

    Fair enough! Although I think your comment of "WILL NOT" catch fish is bit over the top, maybe will not catch as many fish as other techniques is a more fairer reflection.

    Its like saying a cdc nymph "WILL NOT" catch trout on the smalblaar...

    My ZAR 0.02
    Liam i think the big difference is that we dont need to catch EVER fish in the river!

    If you compete i am sure there may be more affective methods but like i said for me is not some much about numbers as it is enjoyment!
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southern Suburbs Cape Town
    Posts
    661

    Default

    i believe that confidence has ALOT to do with catching fish.... if you are confident with yarn, are familiar with its shortfalls ... i firmly believe that it is as effective as most other methods.... and vice versa.....

    personally i have been schooled on the pro's and cons of yarn indicators (shot Liam!!!) and have caught a bucketload of good fish with this method. but like they say, each to his own!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •