Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: NZ rigs, yarn indicators and the short comings

The Vaal has similar water clarity (in some places...)
    Save our Yellows!

Quote Originally Posted by NCBass View Post
    Come on... that's not even close to similar clarity. If that water was in a pool 20 feet deep, you wouldn't be able to see the bottom. If you get up to the water where Liam caught the fish, you wouldn't believe the clarity in some of the deeper pools.
    Basically, the water from the mountain rain and snow, filters through the layers of rock and sand, and sits in the aquifers for years sometimes, and percolates through the layers, and eventually lands up i the rivers. Most parts of the middle and lower Vaal and Orange, dont have mountains to create the conditions for crystal clear water, and rely mostly on "runoff" to feed the river. This brings in a the silt that clouds the water. It's simply a different river, fed in a different way, so please don't take this as a criticism of the Vaal and it's water clarity.
    I have seen the Orange on rare occasions, with clarity similar to your Vaal picture, and when it gets like this... enjoy it, it's flippin wonderfull.
    Last edited by Andre; 29-10-10 at 08:19 AM.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Come on... that's not even close to similar clarity. If that water was in a pool 20 feet deep, you wouldn't be able to see the bottom. If you get up to the water where Liam caught the fish, you wouldn't believe the clarity in some of the deeper pools.
    Basically, the water from the mountain rain and snow, filters through the layers of rock and sand, and sits in the aquifers for years sometimes, and percolates through the layers, and eventually lands up i the rivers. Most parts of the middle and lower Vaal and Orange, dont have mountains to create the conditions for crystal clear water, and rely mostly on "runoff" to feed the river. This brings in a the silt that clouds the water. It's simply a different river, fed in a different way, so please don't take this as a criticism of the Vaal and it's water clarity.
    I have seen the Orange on rare occasions, with clarity similar to your Vaal picture, and when it gets like this... enjoy it, it's flippin wonderfull.
    I think its similar clarity... I would have no issues catching SM's that size.

Nice fish Kelly! I wanna visit Kimberly when the water is that clear....
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Only difference is that the color of the Clanwilliam's are more beautiful.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

That is awesome surrounds and although the Orange and sometimes the Vaal runs pretty clear in some stretches, its never as clear as the stream that that lovely clanwiliam was caught in.... That is just jummy! As for the colour of the fish, I agree with you regarding the yellows of the Vaal, but in some parts of the Orange they are really pretty too and you get beautiful LM. Here's some pics of Orange river yellows to prove my point, taken from some of my local spots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Faarccccck, that is a lovely fish.
    Love the underwater shot, almost has a Gothic feel to it.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Faarccccck, that is a lovely fish.
    Love the underwater shot, almost has a Gothic feel to it.
    Not the same fish Korrie, but thanks, I also think that underwater shot is great, a pitty I did not take the pic. The underwater shot is of a 4,5kg LM. The other shot is just to show how clear the Orange is in certain stretches. Hell, I'm of there this afternoon with a group from stellenbosch, should bhe fireworks.

Quote Originally Posted by NCBass View Post
    Mooi vis, is daai 'n Greys?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Nee man, dis n jullow daai! Great fish, well done

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Dit lyk vir my soos 'n Sage...
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast