Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: NZ rigs, yarn indicators and the short comings

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Die NZ rig, werk. Veral waar die vis, baie positief die vlieg neem.
    Maar baie sku vis, en vis wat inspeksie byte het, werk dit nie so goed nie.
    Dan is die dropper setup met 'n loop baie beter.
    damien het my die dropper setup geleer en herman het ook saterdag toe hy my leer vang het n soortgelyke setup vir my opgesit.. sjoe kan nou nie wag vir die naweek ek gan na n bass seminaar toe....

Korrie....jy praat mos nou snol man....

In your sketch...with the indicator...the moment you "strike" the flies move as well. There is no delay.
    For instance...your fly line is floating in a HUGE ark on the water, with a dry fly. The fish take, you strike...the fly will move immediately. The fly line must not go straight FIRST and THEN the fly moves.

Hope it's understandable.

It's all about re-action time. Whether you fish yarn indicators, putty, balls, polysterene indicators, CZN nymph, in-line, whatever.
    a Guy fishing a yarn indicator who's reflexes and re-action time is fast, is better than a guy fishing CZN nymphing (or inline, French, Boznian, Coil, Spring, whatever) who's reflexes and re-action time is not that fast.

But there certainly is no delay in the flies moving when you strike with yarn indicators. Only if you have slack and kinks and and and...which most guys I know who fish Yarn don't.

As for the fish in the Cape, ask Stephen Dugmore about a specific incident.
    The difference in catch rate between a yarn/putty indicator and as straight as possible setup.
    I think it was something to the effect of 7 or 10 fish to 0. for the straight as possible setup
    got the wrong person I think Korrie. I don't recall the incident, but I do agree that a straight as possible setup has got to be best

Steve
    Stephen Dugmore ](www.freestonerods.co.za)

Quote Originally Posted by freestone View Post
    got the wrong person I think Korrie. I don't recall the incident, but I do agree that a straight as possible setup has got to be best

Steve
    You see,...You guys mustn't "SMOKE ON THE WATER"
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Steve
    Lakenvlei, about 3 or 4 years ago, with the trout in the shallows, spawning time. I am sure it was you.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Lakenvlei, about 3 or 4 years ago, with the trout in the shallows, spawning time. I am sure it was you.
    I see you are referring to that memorable occasion at lakies. It was a 'yarny' day - great fun with yarn indicators and yarn egg patterns. But your figures are decidedly wrong. 7-10 to 0 no ways. The way I recall it, Bruce and I were catching so many fish in the shallows (often double hook-ups) that you decided to abandon your cherry in the hut (!) and come on down to join the fun. At that point we had almost had enough so we let you wade (literally) into the action and czech nymph them. I recall we even supplied you with an egg pattern fly.

Here are 2 of the 0's you refer to.

Last edited by freestone; 10-11-10 at 06:58 AM.
    Stephen Dugmore ](www.freestonerods.co.za)

Nice fish Stephen!

Beaut spawning colours...

Here are 2 of the 0's you refer to.

"We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

This past weekend I fished the yarn indicator...and I definitely became a fan! I tried the coil spring and it's not bad for the CZN nymphing as it forms part of the line, but in general prefer the yarn. I also feel one can miss a number of strikes with the coil, but I guess that takes some getting use to.. but each to his own I guess, but I will certainly start experimenting with yarn..

my 2 cents..
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    The rigs with a dropper hanging loose on the leader is troublesome for me and it is often cast, check flies, cast, check flies, cast, etc. since the loose dropper winds itself around the leader, no matter what type of knot I try, it will find it's way around your leader eventually.
    While marshalling recently I noticed a few guys having to "unspin" the nymph as it had wound itself around the tippet. I normally fish NZ rig. I tied my dry on the tag of my tippet knot and the nymph at the end of the tippet yesterday and was totally peed off as I constantly had to unwind my dry. What was I doing wrong or how do you guys get around this?
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    While marshalling recently I noticed a few guys having to "unspin" the nymph as it had wound itself around the tippet. I normally fish NZ rig. I tied my dry on the tag of my tippet knot and the nymph at the end of the tippet yesterday and was totally peed off as I constantly had to unwind my dry. What was I doing wrong or how do you guys get around this?
    WHy dont you come to the club tomorrow evening and ask the the Czech guy, how they do it?

Normally, when the dry fly spins around the leader, it is because the dry fly is not symetrical
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast