Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: NZ rigs, yarn indicators and the short comings

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoV View Post
    Perhaps its been discussed/condemned before, but wouldnt it be a viable alternative to tie the dropper (point fly) on the NZ rig to the eye of the control fly, rather than to the bend? That way the bend is more open to succesfully hook a fish.
    I realise the point of this thread is to do away with the nz rig, but if one really wanted to use this rig, will this not be an option?

The only downside i can think of is that the fly might not drift as naturally as possible, but Im notconvinced. Are there any shortcomings that Im missing?
    Kind of difficult getting two lines through the eye of a #18 hook

Truth be told I don't tie my second fly to the bend of the hook and never will. Very happy with my rig.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kleinboet View Post
    I would be very greatfull if someone could explain to me the knot used to secure the dropper above the joint of the leader to the tippet. Thanks
    It came out in another thread but there is some diagrams available on the interweb of different set-ups of the rigs.
    here

Pick the knot you like and google it's tying instructions. I like what Pops said: double water knot - no problem.
    Keep it simple...

Quote Originally Posted by wernerm View Post
    Kind of difficult getting two lines through the eye of a #18 hook

Truth be told I don't tie my second fly to the bend of the hook and never will. Very happy with my rig.
    Who uses an 18 as a control fly?
    I also (mostly) abandoned the traditional NZ rig, but there have been times where i wanted to quickly add a 3rd fly as a point fly, and then the nz rig is very convenient.

If you want a quick NZ rig, but dont want to tie the dropper section to the hook bend or the eye of the hook, do a Grinner knot onto the tippet above the excisting fly, slide the dropper section, down and use the knot and fly as the stopper for the dropper section.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9