Hey Guys

Here is the step-by-step for the CDC Humpy I’ve been tying recently, thought up one night out sheer laziness and much wine. Its a simple as hell to tie, and floats like duck. I’ve only been tying few a few months, with a lesson or two from Mat Z and Liam, so please excuse the amateur quality of both the post and the flytying techniques! I showed Crag Thom this fly at the Bell’s the other weekend, and he mentioned he had never seen one before, so I thought I would share.

Tail: Klipspringer
Body: Black CDC
Wingcase: Klipspringer
Wing: Klipspringer

Step 1 :
Cut off a small section of long Klipspringer fibres at the base. Stack it all in a stacker and then tie-off on the end of the hook with a few firm turns of the bobbin.

Step 2 :

Split the thread and insert the prepared CDC (the technique that Darryl uses in his high-vis Midge pattern, I have no idea what its called.)

Once the CDC is inserted in the split thread, spin the bobbin until all the feathers are splayed out. I’m not trying to put Marc Petite Jean out of business here, but here is a “Maak n plan magic clip” a friend Nic showed me.

Step 3:

Wrap up the spun CDC dubbing loop, fold the excess klipspringer forward over the thorax, and tie off just behind the eye of the hook.

Step 4:

Tie off the fly in front of the klipspringer wing. Make a few extra wraps at the very base of the klipspringer to ensure a nice flat wing and trim off the excess.

Its a great fly, and works amazingly well as an indicating fly on a NZ rig. Hope it catches someone some fish!