Thread: The Bastard CDC Humpy

Default The Bastard CDC Humpy

Hey Guys

Here is the step-by-step for the CDC Humpy I’ve been tying recently, thought up one night out sheer laziness and much wine. Its a simple as hell to tie, and floats like duck. I’ve only been tying few a few months, with a lesson or two from Mat Z and Liam, so please excuse the amateur quality of both the post and the flytying techniques! I showed Crag Thom this fly at the Bell’s the other weekend, and he mentioned he had never seen one before, so I thought I would share.

Tail: Klipspringer
    Body: Black CDC
    Wingcase: Klipspringer
    Wing: Klipspringer

Step 1 :
    Cut off a small section of long Klipspringer fibres at the base. Stack it all in a stacker and then tie-off on the end of the hook with a few firm turns of the bobbin.

Step 2 :

Split the thread and insert the prepared CDC (the technique that Darryl uses in his high-vis Midge pattern, I have no idea what its called.)

Once the CDC is inserted in the split thread, spin the bobbin until all the feathers are splayed out. I’m not trying to put Marc Petite Jean out of business here, but here is a “Maak n plan magic clip” a friend Nic showed me.

Step 3:

Wrap up the spun CDC dubbing loop, fold the excess klipspringer forward over the thorax, and tie off just behind the eye of the hook.

Step 4:

Tie off the fly in front of the klipspringer wing. Make a few extra wraps at the very base of the klipspringer to ensure a nice flat wing and trim off the excess.

Its a great fly, and works amazingly well as an indicating fly on a NZ rig. Hope it catches someone some fish!
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Nice tie! I like the aspect the cdc adds to the fly...

Nice split thread cdc dubbing technique
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Awesome looking fly!!! thanks for sharing with us..

Have a busy week ahead, tying wise that is so will tie up a couple of these..

Look the tip with the bull clip.. is that card board or plastic inside the clip??

Thanks very much guys! Ugly little bastard fly, but that CDC add lots of nice legs, and buoyancy.

Quote Originally Posted by kelvin View Post
    Awesome looking fly!!! thanks for sharing with us..

Have a busy week ahead, tying wise that is so will tie up a couple of these..

Look the tip with the bull clip.. is that card board or plastic inside the clip??
    Hope they catch you some fish! I'm sure they would work well for yellows too come to think of it.

The even-more magic clip, ha ha its just a piece of card cut so its completely flat on the business end and some double sided sticky tape to get the card to stick to the clip. Works a treat and costs a whole R5.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Hey Guys

Here is the step-by-step for the CDC Humpy I’ve been tying recently, thought up one night out sheer laziness and much wine. Its a simple as hell to tie, and floats like duck. I’ve only been tying few a few months, with a lesson or two from Mat Z and Liam, so please excuse the amateur quality of both the post and the flytying techniques! I showed Crag Thom this fly at the Bell’s the other weekend, and he mentioned he had never seen one before, so I thought I would share.

Tail: Klipspringer
    Body: Black CDC
    Wingcase: Klipspringer
    Wing: Klipspringer

Step 1 :
    Cut off a small section of long Klipspringer fibres at the base. Stack it all in a stacker and then tie-off on the end of the hook with a few firm turns of the bobbin.

Step 2 :

Split the thread and insert the prepared CDC (the technique that Darryl uses in his high-vis Midge pattern, I have no idea what its called.)

Once the CDC is inserted in the split thread, spin the bobbin until all the feathers are splayed out. I’m not trying to put Marc Petite Jean out of business here, but here is a “Maak n plan magic clip” a friend Nic showed me.

Step 3:

Wrap up the spun CDC dubbing loop, fold the excess klipspringer forward over the thorax, and tie off just behind the eye of the hook.

Step 4:

Tie off the fly in front of the klipspringer wing. Make a few extra wraps at the very base of the klipspringer to ensure a nice flat wing and trim off the excess.

Its a great fly, and works amazingly well as an indicating fly on a NZ rig. Hope it catches someone some fish!
    That fly is awesome, just love it. If you dont join the Bonanza, can I submit it.??
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    That fly is awesome, just love it. If you dont join the Bonanza, can I submit it.??
    Hi Dave

Thanks very much! No problem at all, it would be great to see how it does in the Bonanza.