Thread: Eastern Cape - Kleinemond & The Fish River?

Default Eastern Cape - Kleinemond & The Fish River?

Hi Guys

Im going to be fishing Kleinemond's West River and The Fish River this December. Has anyone had much success in these rivers?

Ive never fished The Fish but Im sure it hosts great fishing if one can find the spots. Does anyone have any advice from previous trips gone by?

I fished Kleinemond West in January and it produced plenty Moonies, black tail and Silvies on fly. There were Grunter, Cob and Leeries around too but i couldnt get one to look at a fly (only with bait). This year Im not giving up on the flys..

Any advice?

If anyone is keen to join me on a flyfishing venture over the week of the 5th to the 12th please let me know. Im taking a boat with so if you know the spots we can get to them.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Rob

Attachment 8921

hey guys...

no responses to this? would the same flies that work further south also work here?

do the leeries come into the rivers here over summer like further down?

any info, even if it's just what fish would be around at this time of year would really help...

thanks guys

I guess no one has fished the Great Fish River before..

Ill be the first!!!! Whoo hoo!!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Rob View Post
    Hi Guys

Im going to be fishing Kleinemond's West River and The Fish River this December. Has anyone had much success in these rivers?

Ive never fished The Fish but Im sure it hosts great fishing if one can find the spots. Does anyone have any advice from previous trips gone by?

I fished Kleinemond West in January and it produced plenty Moonies, black tail and Silvies on fly. There were Grunter, Cob and Leeries around too but i couldnt get one to look at a fly (only with bait). This year Im not giving up on the flys..

Any advice?

If anyone is keen to join me on a flyfishing venture over the week of the 5th to the 12th please let me know. Im taking a boat with so if you know the spots we can get to them.

I look forward to hearing your responses.

Rob

Attachment 8921
    Hey, i might be there over that time, depending how things are with the gf haha...

Have caught a span of stuff in Kleinies, but mostly on live baits and prawn etc,,, have always wanted to give the fly a bash, but just never got around to it! So i think i might bring my stuff down and we can give it a smash...

My gf's uncle fishes F. River a lot, some BIG grunter, but pickings are thinner then Kleinies...
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Default Kleinies on fly

Howzit guys...

I'd also love to hear more re the fishing on the two Kleinies rivers. I've had bery limited success there on fly, though what I know about saltwater flyfishing is dangerous! Rob, if you have any joy please let me know as I'll be fishing there and about from the 20th Dec-4thJan.
    Cheers...
    Trout are as much a part of South Africa as the oak trees are of Stellenbosch – not to be planted in wilderness areas where they do not already occur, but to be valued where they are established.

Hi James
    If you are down there over the 5th to 12th and you are keen to give the flies a go please give me a shout - 072 548 1841.

Ive caught all sorts of species there with bait but Im very keen to work the flys hard this time. Ive only caught and seen big leeries being caught there on live bait - 6kg plus fish so if one of these beasts hits a fly its going to get interesting! My knees are going week just thinking about it, ha ha.

The Kleinemonde rivers are closed so tidal movements arent the same as other coastal rivers. I dont know quite how this affects the fish within the rivers. I do know that those grunter and mullet are some fussy ass fish!

Ill be sure to take some photos and let the forum know what happens..

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Weaver View Post
    Howzit guys...

I'd also love to hear more re the fishing on the two Kleinies rivers. I've had bery limited success there on fly, though what I know about saltwater flyfishing is dangerous! Rob, if you have any joy please let me know as I'll be fishing there and about from the 20th Dec-4thJan.
    Cheers...
    Will def be there over that time, from abt 27th Dec... probs until mid Jan depending of supps!

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback Rob View Post
    Hi James
    If you are down there over the 5th to 12th and you are keen to give the flies a go please give me a shout - 072 548 1841.

Ive caught all sorts of species there with bait but Im very keen to work the flys hard this time. Ive only caught and seen big leeries being caught there on live bait - 6kg plus fish so if one of these beasts hits a fly its going to get interesting! My knees are going week just thinking about it, ha ha.

The Kleinemonde rivers are closed so tidal movements arent the same as other coastal rivers. I dont know quite how this affects the fish within the rivers. I do know that those grunter and mullet are some fussy ass fish!

Ill be sure to take some photos and let the forum know what happens..
    Keen to try get some of those bus mullet on a 5wt... there was a tactic the okes on the Swartkops were using in one of the TCFF's...
    They chum up the water a little, and then once mullet feeding, they chuck out 'strike indicator' flies - so i guess like a 'milky dream' but not weighted... One of those 2kg jobs will give u some serious stick on a 5wt no doubt...

Have caught some bus leerie on live baits and some good grunter too, wouldnt mind giving the grunter a try with some shrimp imitations, but the problem are the blaady flatties! tried with drop shot last holiday and the flatties take everything before the grunter!!

my no. 0843383373

James
    I'll stay as long as i can fish. . .

Whenever the "club" for geniuses - MENSA - was mentioned, I always wondered if their was an opposite equivalent society for imbeciles. Now I know, it's called ANCYL.

Report back:

Ok so the week at the East Kleinemonde River has come and gone. Unfortunately nothing too exciting to report from the fly fishing perspective. Moonies and silvies were the only fish that took the flies. Although great sport i was hoping for something different (a big fat lazy kob or a bus leerie).

I didnt see much feeding activity to be honest. I only fished the smaller East river because access to the West river was tricky - if not impossible.

The bait fishing produced the goods. A few cob around the 5kg range and a good 3kg spottie was caught. live mullet and mud prawn the order of the day.

I tried the Fish River mouth for about 2 hours with a drop shot set up but had no joy - id imagine further up river would be better.

What an amazing venue! The Eastern Cape Coastline is a real gem. I know why information is hard to come by for this area. Its difficult to access unless you live there, and those who know it wont part with the fishing knowledge easily-and rightly so i feel.

James good luck with those bus mullet man!

There are some real boys there - well worth the effort if you can entice one on fly