View Poll Results: How does the eye direction affect hook-up?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Up-eye - hooked top lip

1 14.29%
  • Up-eye - hook bottom lip

1 14.29%
  • Down-eye - hooked top lip

3 42.86%
  • Down-eye - hooked bottom lip

4 57.14%
  • Straight-eye - hooked top lip

2 28.57%
  • Straight-eye - hooked bottom lip

2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Hook eye and Hookup??

I've read a piece on a US forum where they had a similar discussion some years back - related to streamer hooks.

The argument put forth by one bloke was that a straight eyed hook was more prone to spinning at a certain speed (fast) than a down eyed hook at the same pace. He fished the exact same leader but experienced different results. So the leader can't be blamed.

I can't say that I've experienced the same but to have a better picture one would have to go under with a camera to see the dfference if any. Unless you've taken some snaps underwater the ONLY visuals to speak off was that last bit of the retrieval and that is not telling the complete story.

Interesting I wanna go test it and see for myself..
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 05-11-10 at 11:50 AM.
    Gerrit Viljoen

2. Default

Interesting indeed - will be keen to hear your results.

Pulling a fly fast to make it move though is not something I do a LOT anymore, but your results will still be very interesting to look at.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Interesting indeed - will be keen to hear your results.

Pulling a fly fast to make it move though is not something I do a LOT anymore, but your results will still be very interesting to look at.
    Ha ha I need to go buy Gamas again (SE).Been using DE for the last season. Will make a plan.
    Gerrit Viljoen

I've also heard guys talking about straight eyed streamers wobbling. I think it's a load of rubbish. I'd suggest they tie their streamers properly in the first place! Or of course they could use up-eyes like on the salmon irons and use a Turle knot as I mentioned before and definitely no wobbles - but that's probably a bit too old-fashioned and tried-and-tested for them!...
    Last edited by chris williams; 05-11-10 at 01:36 PM.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Mario: I concentrated on hook position on saturday, and the up-eye hook I was using caught about 80% of the yellows in the lower lip, mostly near the scissors.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Circus View Post
    Mario: I concentrated on hook position on saturday, and the up-eye hook I was using caught about 80% of the yellows in the lower lip, mostly near the scissors.
    Fantastic feedback, thanks Circus!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

While we are on the hook eye subject.
    WHy are not more hooks made with a vertical eye?
    Or have the vertical eye, above the paralel of the hook shank?

The jig hooks are vertical eye and below the hook shank, but with a small extra piece of shank to accomodate the bead. That don't interfere with the hook up.

just wondering
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345