Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Lower Vaal?

Maybe stop over at lilydale on the way? Wish I had time to go there now.
    Tiaan

Fly Fishing Addict

I definitely will! I am also keen to check out the Vaal above Douglas - Just cant find any access at the moment. I have a duck and electric motor, so I can launch and drive around. But I was hoping to camp along the river somewhere.
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

Hi Jade,

I fish the Lower Vaal regularly but all private access as I grew up there. What I can recommend seeing you have a Duck and M Kota, is that you take a look at Barkly West. There is an old resort in the bend on the downstream side of the new bridge over the Vaal and camping should not be an issue. Google and see if you pick up a number there. There is still a pub operating there I think. Otherwise find a B&B on the net and ask them if they know who can give permission for camping there etc. There is also launch access on the upstream side of this bridge past the old Toll Bridge via an access road parallel to the river. I would even say you could pitch a tent there as it is Municipal ground I think.
    This time of year the visibility is good at 400mm +. Area around the resort and weir is under a lot of pressure from locals but upstream has good Largie potential. I personally have never fished it from a boat due to shortage of time but have hit it passing through for an hour or two and pulled some SM (I have farm vehicles still licensed there at BWest so go down to renew etc). I have pics of the area and as it is so remote (Far from crowds) will post when I get a chance. Bank access for FF is limited but possible from the weir which you can use to cross the river and get to the opposite bank which looks good from FF perspective. Anywhere you get a remote spot in this area with low pressure from locals, that kill 100% of their catch, will be a good option. Pniel used to host FF guiding years ago and it was awesome from reports I received. I used to hunt there at the time with little chance to fish. This farm is now a land claim re-allocation and there is a lot of alluvial mining activity with associated harvesting of fish so cannot comment on current state of affairs. I was last there 12 years ago and it had 30km of river frontage with unlimited FF potential with numerous rapids and runs.

There is a lovely camp site at Windsorton,
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Christiana and Warrenton also have good camping spots, on the river.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Quote Originally Posted by Vlamgat View Post
    Hi Jade,

I fish the Lower Vaal regularly but all private access as I grew up there. What I can recommend seeing you have a Duck and M Kota, is that you take a look at Barkly West. There is an old resort in the bend on the downstream side of the new bridge over the Vaal and camping should not be an issue. Google and see if you pick up a number there. There is still a pub operating there I think. Otherwise find a B&B on the net and ask them if they know who can give permission for camping there etc. There is also launch access on the upstream side of this bridge past the old Toll Bridge via an access road parallel to the river. I would even say you could pitch a tent there as it is Municipal ground I think.
    This time of year the visibility is good at 400mm +. Area around the resort and weir is under a lot of pressure from locals but upstream has good Largie potential. I personally have never fished it from a boat due to shortage of time but have hit it passing through for an hour or two and pulled some SM (I have farm vehicles still licensed there at BWest so go down to renew etc). I have pics of the area and as it is so remote (Far from crowds) will post when I get a chance. Bank access for FF is limited but possible from the weir which you can use to cross the river and get to the opposite bank which looks good from FF perspective. Anywhere you get a remote spot in this area with low pressure from locals, that kill 100% of their catch, will be a good option. Pniel used to host FF guiding years ago and it was awesome from reports I received. I used to hunt there at the time with little chance to fish. This farm is now a land claim re-allocation and there is a lot of alluvial mining activity with associated harvesting of fish so cannot comment on current state of affairs. I was last there 12 years ago and it had 30km of river frontage with unlimited FF potential with numerous rapids and runs.
    Thanks very much! Really great information - I found a place to stay just downstream of the bridge before Pniel. The water and pools look great. Yeah I am trying to find water away from people as much as possible. It amazes me that there are such large chunks of water with no human traces in between. Anyway, if the weather plays along, it should be a great trip. Thanks again for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Christiana and Warrenton also have good camping spots, on the river.
    Thanks Korrie! Found a few great spots, but couldnt find the one in Windsorton. Appreciate it! J

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    Thanks Korrie! Found a few great spots, but couldnt find the one in Windsorton. Appreciate it! J
    Have a look at Desitination X, Warrenton. B&B on the river.
    Barkley West is 30km from Windsorton and also on the banks of the river.
    Korrie Broos

DSC_0126a.jpgDSC_0127a.jpgDSC_0128a.jpgDSC_0129a.jpgDSC_0130a.jpgHerewith some pics taken of Vaal at Barkly West as per post above.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlamgat View Post
    DSC_0126a.jpgDSC_0127a.jpgDSC_0128a.jpgDSC_0129a.jpgDSC_0130a.jpgHerewith some pics taken of Vaal at Barkly West as per post above.
    Wow, that looks awesome! Thanks for finding and sharing!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3