Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying "Challenge"

1. Default Fly Tying "Challenge"

Morning all

I have a little bit of a break tomorrow from 08:00 - 13:00, so I will be bringing some tying gear to work. I thought it may be fun if you could list a pattern for me to tie during the day tomorrow, I'll try to tie it up, take a quick pic and post it here. I won't be bringing all my materials, but the most common stuff I use will be here:

- CDC
    - Snowshoe
    - Flash - various colours
    - Many different dubbings (seal, hare, squirrel, kangaroo, ice-rat, rabbit etc) - some synthetics as well.
    - Couple of capes - White, Brown, Cree, CDL Medium Pardo, Grizzly
    - Pheasant tail
    - Nymph-head beads & a small assortment of hooks
    - Goose Biots in a couple of colours
    - Peacock Herl

That's about it from the top of my head. I will post what I actually bring along tomorrow, but it won't differ too wildly from the above.

So, I'd like to tie up about 10 different patterns during the morning tomorrow, all suggested by you guys, and see if I can do what you suggest proud, and if it will pass your scrutiny

So, for those that are keen to participate tomorrow, start thinking of a pattern or 2, and I'll try my utmost to tie it with my limited skills.

Looking forward ....
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Seeing your version of a rab would be nice, maybe a zak too? They're pretty well known flies but every person has their own personal "tweaks" that they swear by.
    Check your knots!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Seeing your version of a rab would be nice, maybe a zak too? They're pretty well known flies but every person has their own personal "tweaks" that they swear by.
    Okay - added ...
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

what about tying up a goose biot para adams of your own design - (colour specific to your streams)?

could also play around with a grasshopper maybe? dubbed body, PT legs, hackle head? (no spinning deer hair at the desk haha)

i would love to be doing what ur doing right now!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    i would love to be doing what ur doing right now!
    Streaming some Youtube vids and wrapping a 7-piece rod to be exact
    Mario Geldenhuys

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gazzarowan View Post
    what about tying up a goose biot para adams of your own design - (colour specific to your streams)?

could also play around with a grasshopper maybe? dubbed body, PT legs, hackle head? (no spinning deer hair at the desk haha)
    I could tie these up tonight, but that would be unfair Will definitely do the grasshopper tomorrow - I need a few for Rhodes this weekend. Boarman's Chase to be exact!
    Mario Geldenhuys

Hi Mario
    Why don't you tie a few of the flies that are your "go to" flies in your area. I think it will be interesting for us in other areas to see what works in Rhodes and what sizes.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Hi Mario
    Why don't you tie a few of the flies that are your "go to" flies in your area. I think it will be interesting for us in other areas to see what works in Rhodes and what sizes.
    Yeah, if there is not enough interest and stuff to keep me on my toes tomorrow I'm going to tie what I usually would use. Don't hold your breath though, it's all very basic stuff - quick and simple to tie, and most importantly, stuff that gets the fish interested.
    Mario Geldenhuys

I'd like to see an ant pattern please
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    I'd like to see an ant pattern please
    Here you go

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast