Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rivers near Joburg

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    I would disagree a bit, I fish emmarentia quite a bit and I have never had problems there.. There are two other little ponds that feed off emmies that also have some nice bass and a lot safer..Dont diss the place before you have tried it..

Otherwise give me a shout and I will join you there or I will show you some other spots to fish
    dont get me wrong mate, not dissing it its just what i hear.

I may just give you a shout to show me where, that would be great tks.
    You available inthe week or just weekends?

Quote Originally Posted by adamski View Post
    dont get me wrong mate, not dissing it its just what i hear.

I may just give you a shout to show me where, that would be great tks.
    You available inthe week or just weekends?
    At the moment weekends will be better, I know a lot of guys have had problems with some spots but hey..this is gauteng..u cant even be safe at home anymore, we mite as well be adventurous

You just need to know where to go and not stay too late, and remember to look around you at all times. If someone is hanging around that looks like he wants to @ss rape you then yeah, call it a day and run
    ..there we were..5 against 100.. ..Man did we F@k those 5 up..!

If you are after a quick fix and you are still getting used to casting I sugest you target some bass - the carp and barbel can be tricky unless you have spend many a day trying to tempt them onto a fly - yet well worth a try.

Fourways gardens is where i taught myself to flyfish, catching small bass in at that stage, anyone of thier 4 dams. Unless you live there you cant just drive in, you ll need to be visiting someone inside the complex. What i used to do was just park outside and walk in with my gear (sneaky). Im not sure what the dams are like now but i bet you ll still be able to catch plenty of bass if you can get in.
    There is another small dam down the road (300m) from 4ways gardens that holds alot of bass but is often very weeded over. I havent actually looked at this dam for a year now - last i saw it was very weeded over.

Your best bet is the dam in Lonehill (next to the koppie and park). Here you ll catch bass, barbel and carp on fly. The carp come up for bread as do the barbel. Give me a PM if you want more details. Id sugest you go there and cast whooly buggers along the edges, you ll have lots of joy with the bass im sure.

Trout hunters have trout dams (not so great) and carp dams (awesome). If you play your cards right you could easily catch up to 10 carp in an afternoon - you chum with bread or cat pellets then present a similar looking fly - fly fishing in its simplest form really. Most of the time there are alot of bait fisherman there but you ll never be disapointed going with the flys. Give me a shout if you want more details (072 548 1841).

Again - these spots arent pristine flyfishing venues by any stretch of the imagination but when you need to have a flyfish you need to have a flyfish

the lonehill dam is a nice place to fish, well kept and neat...but there were quite a few fish killed there recently due to some sort of spill coming into the river via the stream...(carp and bass died)

there are barbel to be caught at the inlet (they feed off the surface) and i hooked a beast of a carp that broke me off in the bushes in the main dam.

they are extremely tippet shy so have to go light (which leads to frustration)

pleanty barbel in the main dam and a big fly undere a popping head could cause some damage...

there are still a few bass as well (and a few terrapins) haha

keep searching and pop into unlikely dams wherever and you'll be surprised at times.

Hey Gazza

Which fly did you catch your terrapin on again?

Ha ha, you and those turtles!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post
    At the moment weekends will be better, I know a lot of guys have had problems with some spots but hey..this is gauteng..u cant even be safe at home anymore, we mite as well be adventurous

You just need to know where to go and not stay too late, and remember to look around you at all times. If someone is hanging around that looks like he wants to @ss rape you then yeah, call it a day and run
    Gwydion my friend. I doubt if any neer do well would even consider confronting you.
    After all, you are always armed with your thread scissors.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

This is just the thread I need!!! thanks every one and to Adam for starting it...

Next year Feb or March I will be relocating to Johannesburg and will be staying in the Linden / Fairway area, so was happy to see there are a few dams in the Emmerentia area.. So every one expect a lot of questions from me in a few months

Oi Gazza
    Finally I got the gap to try Lonehill dam, got the fly box and stick and went searching. Start searching for the dam and then........Dam, the phone rings and i'm back to work.
    I gotto rememberto switch it off on route. Next time tho............

All you gents moving to Joeys, when you meet up with us local Forumers we can give you a lot more info in person. There are some stunning little fishing gems around here in the most unlikely places, but unfortunately putting their details on the Forum will just get the minority passing lurking rabble using and abusing the info..
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2