Thread: Newcastle Here I come...

Default Newcastle Here I come...

Hi everyone, I am moving to Newcastle KZN next year (Early). I was wondering what the fishing is like in that area. I know Lesotho and the Drakensberg is pretty close, but I don't know the spots and would like to know where else I could go. Is there anyone on the forum from that area that I could join for fishing when I'm there?

Quote Originally Posted by RenierBez View Post
    Hi everyone, I am moving to Newcastle KZN next year (Early). I was wondering what the fishing is like in that area. I know Lesotho and the Drakensberg is pretty close, but I don't know the spots and would like to know where else I could go. Is there anyone on the forum from that area that I could join for fishing when I'm there?
    Best ff to guide you here would be Mario, (Smallstreams) great guy, builds rods too.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

There's some fishing near Utrecht - both stillwater & stream (Google Waterloo farm, Utrecht & Balele). You're quite close to the Berg, via Ladysmith with some superb small stream fishing. Lesotho is a long way away. And of course Harrismith & nearby Sterkfontein dam for yellows is a very good option.
    Mike Mitchley

Newcastle is more in the "Northern Berg" and a distance from Lesotho.
    Newcastle area have some good Bass dams, not too sure about the trout and Scallies in that area.
    I know the Central and Southern Berg areas have good trout fishing.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hi there Renier.
    Im originally from Newcastle.
    There are some ok fishing spots.
    For Bass, there is Chelmsford dam (Now called Ntchinwaiyo or something like
    that) Amcor dam is not to bad either.

For trout fishing you can try Engogo riverside lodge. http://www.engogo.co.za/
    Or you can try Breezie Brae http://www.breeziebrae.co.za/
    There are also some fine places in Utrecht too.
    Other than that you might have to try further afield for trout. in the Berg area.

I know a guy that does specimen carp fishing, If you are interested, I can put you in contact with him for further info. He used to fish with my dad.

I do come down to Newcastle every 4 weeks or so to visit family.
    If im around, we can maybe arrange a trip.
    All the best with the Move.
    "One thing becomes clearer as one gets older and one's fishing experience increases, and that is the paramount importance of one's fishing companions" John Ashley-Cooper

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~by Patrick F. McManus~

"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Hi RenierBez.

I'm form Ladysmith and grew up fishing the Biggersberg area which is very close to Newcastle. That whole area has some awesome trout and bass fishing. Some really big trout in that area. Look in TCFF in the adds section for a place called Breezie Brae, difficult fishing but really rewarding with some trophy trout if you get it right and its only about 30min from Newcastle. Chelmsford dam has a good head of bass and the usual carp and barbel and apparently there is some scalie to be found in the river flowing into and out of the dam.

When I saw this thread I thought it was from my extremely competent flyfishing mate, also a Chris, who used to play football for Newcastle United (England). I thought he was applying for their managerial position!

Is Balele Farm or whatever it's called still in existence in the Newcastle (KZN) vicinity?

I've done a fair bit of fishing on private dams around there - lovely area and totally unspoilt and remote if you're lucky enough to have farming mates in the area.
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Thank you all for the information. I have actually seen the Breez Brae in the TCFF and goggled it. I see there are 5 dams.

It would be great hooking up with any of you in Newcastle.