Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My new custom rod

Default My new custom rod

i hope Korrie and Alex don't mind this post, but here goes.
    On Friday evening. Korrie and I were blessed with brand new "Mike Barrio" custom built fly rods, in 3wt 9ft 4 piece with a magnificent wodden burl grip. Each individually made especially for us, by Alex Burnett, one of the most respected rod builders in Scotland.
    Earlier this year, Alex came out to Cape Town on some business, made contact with the CPS, and to cut a long story short, since then, has become quite a pleasurable fishing partner for Korrie and myself, everytime he comes out here.
    He is in cape Town at the moment for the holiday season,a nd On Friday night, came round to my place for a braai. He arrives at the front door, and presents Korrie and me, each with a rod bag, and says "happy Christmas".
    Can you believe that someone can be so generous, as to go to all the effort to do this, simply because he was made to feel welcome in a strange town... unbelievable.
    This is what was inside the rod bags.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

You know what Andre and Korrie,? You guys should not be surprised, because you have put back into this sport tenfold. Andre, I have been at a function and you have in your personal capacity, opened your wallet and never expected anything in return. Take a bow, both of you......and thank you for being "YOU 2"
    please don't sing though "U2"
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

You should post some pics of the rod bags too...with Alex's signature tartan material.
    Alex knows that I'm not fond of wooden grips (on my own rods), but these certainly look brilliant.

Those rod grips (centres) and reelseat spacers were turned from Amboyna Burl wood...which is a DAMN hard wood, and one of the more prized woods worldwide (my new CTS 5wt has one on too). A mighty fine gesture, to give you guys these builds he was busy with...awesome.

Fine builds, by a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    You know what Andre and Korrie,? You guys should not be surprised, because you have put back into this sport tenfold. Andre, I have been at a function and you have in your personal capacity, opened your wallet and never expected anything in return. Take a bow, both of you......and thank you for being "YOU 2"
    please don't sing though "U2"
    Thanks Roland.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You should post some pics of the rod bags too...with Alex's signature tartan material.
    Alex knows that I'm not fond of wooden grips (on my own rods), but these certainly look brilliant.

Those rod grips (centres) and reelseat spacers were turned from Amboyna Burl wood...which is a DAMN hard wood, and one of the more prized woods worldwide (my new CTS 5wt has one on too). A mighty fine gesture, to give you guys these builds he was busy with...awesome.

Fine builds, by a great guy.
    Apparently, it's a tradition for Scottish rods to be kept in a genuine tartan bag. As far as the grips are concerned, i have never really paid much attention to the asthetics, but been one to go more for the funcionality of a rod, but even with my limited experience of custom rods, this one looks to be very well made indeed. Yes, I understand that Amboyna is very prized, and exceptionally difficult to work with, so I am even more blown away. I don't think the full magnitude of this gift has quite sunk in yet, and I have yet to fish with the rod, but to recieve a gift that has been built especially, is a different feeling. It is hours and hours of someone's time gone into it.
    Yeah, he's a great guy that's for sure. I wasn't aware that you knew him Michael.
    The blanks that Mike Barrio makes, are apparently also designed with the old traditional cane rod feel in mind, and are quite sought after among the "tweed and creel" brigade. This one has a gentle and lazy old world feel about it. Not an action that I can compare adequately to anything else that i have fished with. A few months ago, when fishing with Alex, I used his for a while, and liked it a lot, so when I get a chance to fish with my new rod, i will let you know how it goes.

I fished Saturday and Sunday with my NEW rod.

I dont know what we did to deserve such a special gift, but it is truly a lovely Christmas gift.
    a 9" 4 peice rod is really special.
    Each in its own tratan bag.
    The thought that went into the making of the rods is awesome.

Andre's favourite river is the Elands Pad and mine the Witte.
    Each rod is named after our favourite river.
    And my tartan bag, to match the Witte River, even has a white strip in the tartan.

The wooden handle is lovely, smooth in the hand. (in case you wonder, it does not slide when wet. )

The rod action is reasonble fast, with a delicate tip.

Thanks again Alex.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Wow...

What a Christmas present.

I hope you guys have many hours of pleasure with those beauty's in hand...
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

A photo of one of the first fish, with my new rod, caught on a nymph, with my new rod. The first fish was on a dry.
    The first fishing trip we had no camera. The second trip, we made sure there was a camera.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Hey Alex

If I knew you were going to be this generous I'd have invited you up to JHB for some yellowfishing!!!

And of course, would NEVER have said I prefer cork handles over wood....

Watch this space for some wood-in-grips though...

Mike

Here it is, all set up and ready with the new reel. Quite pretty i think. Now to fish it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast