Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Lilydale report back

Quote Originally Posted by CTHOMAS View Post
    I just spent a fantastic week at Lilydale and want to know why the fish I saw rising were not interested in anything dry we threw at them? The water temp was 3-5 degs and very cloudy colour. They were definitely there but could not see what they were taking. The flow was strong, having been scoured out in the recent floods. Hookups in the rocks were frequent in an attempt to find the bottom which of course we could not see.
    Made me a little sick to have blanked in such an amazing place with so much promise.
    Any ideas anyone?????
    I would certainly go back.
    Charles.
    My 2 cents, the fish were feeding sub-surface, just under the clarity margin.Maybe a sunken dry would have induced takes.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Can you perhaps post some pics,i am dying to see what it looks like there.
    John, I had a chat with a buddie who was there over last weekend, albeit only for 5 hours. ( In transit )

Visibility was around 40cm's, the flows ( to him ) were a little too high.
    The floods have toppled trees, as well as "scouring" the water courses. His "gut feel" is COME ON OCTOBER.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Thanks Herman,i pretty much thought that was the case.Krugerdrift dam is still overflowing after 2 months and that usually affects lilydales water alot.

Hi guys,

I would just like to say I'm new to the forum - and I enjoy it a lot!

Secondly- I'm off to Lilydale this weekend and would like some advice. My previous visits were a bit less than successful. Which flies do you recommend for the smallies there? They seem to be really fussy.

My 2c is that the Lilydale yellows are not any more or less fussy about fly selection than their Vaal cousins. They are however considerably more skittish and leader selection and presentation are much more important than on the Vaal. Higher grade yellowfishing.

If i were to take anything from this thread it would be to fish dry and dropper on as fine a tipper as you dare.

I would fish a cdc & Elk caddis with dark emergers #16 under it.
    Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish."

~by Roderick Haig-Brown

I guess I'm just too used to yellowfishing in the Orange where normally the fishing isn't too difficult. Don't get me wrong- I enjoyed Lilydale the few trips I made there. Last year was just a little tough as I only landed one fish in two days of fishing.

I think it might have been because of a cold front passing through but it was still frustrating.

Lilydale has got more to do with getting the fly pattern spot on.I can go through a good morning by changing in excess of 20 times before i get a touch,then it usually booms for the rest of the day.If the water is relativel;y clean i always use a stimulator dry,on its own.I then add a dropper and change that as often as needed until i get a take,and if nothing bites a black bugger in size 10.Murky waters will always lend itself well to a black adams dry and copper johns,dark dragons and buggers.

I think you are gonna have very murky waters as the modder river is still pumping.You are welcome to call me for ideas anytime.zero eight three5437744

Any feedback on the conditions there??

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast