Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Lilydale report back

Was in Kimberley for the weekend but could only manage to fish on Sunday morning. The temperature was a little low in the morning (-1 down at the river). I couldn't manage to catch anything but the water does look promising. Focused mainly on the bigger pools for LM.

I think this year Lilydale will be a little easier to fish in the sense that the floods washed away a lot of the reeds and other bankside vegetation. Spots that were normally inaccessable are now easier to reach and casting is also easier as youre not so confined.

The river was still flowing quite high and a little discoulered but very fishable. The water didn't feel that cold bit I didn't have a thermometer with me to check. The SM started getting more active later in the morning and I saw 1 fish in shallow riffle water. Pity I didn't have time till late afternoon as I think the fishing should be better in the afternoon as the water temp rises.

Thanks.I intend going there the weekend,hope to get some fish.

Well for those who know lilydale well,its face has changed completely.Reeds are gone,whole rows of huge trees are gone and thankfully all the rivver grass is no more.The water quality however is not good at all and it shows on the condition of the fish.I do however think that once flows have settled and clarity returns it is going to be a joy fishing the river in the state i remember 10 years ago.My biggest concern is that with all the structure that was washed down many fish must have come in it path and fish numbers are very low from what i could see.We fished the area below the lodge where i hooked a very nice smally on a dropper below my dry but lost.A friend of mine got 2 muddies and 2 small yellows there.We then moved upstream to Grootbek,above the lodge.I manged this very nice size smallmouth and lost 2 more and a few missed takes on a black cactus bugger just below the surface.The water is still about 40cm or so higher than the norm but very fishable,visibilty is not great but fish are visible in the quieter sections.I think if water levels dont rise soon then fishing should be great towards the middle to end of Oct.Water temps were also not bad and i saw a few fish in thinner water already.I hope to go there in mid oct again and hopefully see fish quantities return.For anyone wanting to go there i would however suggest to give it a few more weeks,then it should really be good.I also think that the lower sections below Big Ben and towards dekrans are gonna fish better as fish stuck below Big Ben will not easikly get back up to the upper sections.Anyone that does go that way please post pics if visisting the lower sections

Here is a before the floods pic of the rocky area in the top photo.

Smaak my dis tyd om terug te gaan Lilydale toe....
    Was daar twee jaar terug en toe het dit gelyk soos in jou laaste foto.
    Ek dink daai plek sal so November se kant goed vis.

Hy gaan beslis goed hengel in November.Dit gaan net effens moeiliker ,maar lekkerder wees aangesien daar nie meer wegkruip plek is ageter al die riete nie.

Thanks for the feedback!
    So glad to hear the grass is gone .. man that was annoying. It seriously looks like the river is pumping though - was very thin the last time i was there.

Did you by any chance check out kleinbek?

I did not go to kleinbek but I will promise you all the reeds will be gone and i think all the thorn trees too.The river is not too much higher than normal its just with the reeds gone new channels have emerged making it look higher.I think the rapids are gonna be more productive than ever as there is no cover anymore for fish to use in the open slower flows so i would think they will be more active in the rapids than usual.Wonder if google earth would be newly updated for these areas.Would beable to see the real impact of the flood.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    I did not go to kleinbek but I will promise you all the reeds will be gone and i think all the thorn trees too.The river is not too much higher than normal its just with the reeds gone new channels have emerged making it look higher.I think the rapids are gonna be more productive than ever as there is no cover anymore for fish to use in the open slower flows so i would think they will be more active in the rapids than usual.Wonder if google earth would be newly updated for these areas.Would beable to see the real impact of the flood.
    If the floods stays away till February, you will be amazed at how much reeds would have grown back. Once they are in an area, they tend to start growing again, even if just one or two reeds survived the floods, they will grow back. Maybe not in the same numbers, but they will quickly boumce back.

Ja,there are a few new shoots already and i guess in a few years time it will be pretty much back to normal.I guess we need to make the most of it while we can.I went with Gerrit,very pleasant guy to fish with,very capable,awesome equipment he has.He was nymphing most of the time and I started dry/dropper and moved to streamer.Really enjoyed fishing with someone new again and seeing how they approach the water etc.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast