Thread: How Is Hermanus lagoon currently Fishing?

Default How Is Hermanus lagoon currently Fishing?

Last time I was in Hermanus there were huge fish kills as there was sewerage leaking into the water at the scout camp. The lagoon has remained closed since then. Are there any fish left?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Taylor View Post
    Last time I was in Hermanus there were huge fish kills as there was sewerage leaking into the water at the scout camp. The lagoon has remained closed since then. Are there any fish left?
    Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I will be in the area from tomorrow and am taking my boat. Have sent u pm with contacts.

There are still juvenile leeries (& some big boys too) and elf to be caught in the channels near the mouth...
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

What colours should I be tying in for the leeries? I have only once seen leeries in Hermanus in 8 years so obviously I have been doing something wrong. I do however usually fish there with bait so that could be an explanation for not seeing them. I am still very new to saltwater fly fishing but intend to fix that this summer.
    Last year I noticed that the elf were really agressive toward chartruce. Is that still the case?

What colours should I be tying in for the leeries? I have only once seen leeries in Hermanus in 8 years so obviously I have been doing something wrong. I do however usually fish there with bait so that could be an explanation for not seeing them. I am still very new to saltwater fly fishing but intend to fix that this summer.
    Last year I noticed that the elf were really agressive toward chartruce. Is that still the case?

Chartreuse over white, red & white, pink & white & plain white have worked for me...

I fish mainly flippers & dog's breakfasts (instead of clousers to avoid being bitten off by the elf as I don't fish with a steel trace)
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Hi Guys,

I am in Hermanus now and looking for someone to go fishing on the lagoon with. Also have no boat, but am willing to walk to work some of the banks.

Let me know if you are keen.

Cheers,

Andrew

Wind is forecast to blow hard right up until saturday...

Makes it tough to see chases & find fish activity. There are leeries around!

Lots of weed in the section near the mouth, makes for frustrating fishing. But if you persevere you will get results...