Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 5-wt Rod Shootout - very interesting

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7795583/

that would about summarize the subtle differences...

what is interesting to me, is that they now rate the "Nymph performace" as well.

Previous tests never had the "nymph Performance" catagory.
    It shows how important the nymphing have become, as a facet of fly fishing, over the last couple of years.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by HolyGT View Post
    http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7795583/

that would about summarize the subtle differences...
    Brilliant

I See that the TFO BVK is up there has any one tried this rod and cares to comment?

I would love to hear feedback myself re.the BVK.It seems the shootout was based on the best "allround" rod and not necessarily the best rod.The zenith seems to do everything well yes,but i bet that the guys using a z-axis or streamdance arent gonna swop because of the shootout result.The shootout is slightly scetchy though.They could have used an even more structured test and given a bit more feedback on the feel,comparisons accuracy of all rods etc.
    The one negative thing about the zenith is the price locally.The z-axis is 695$ and locally R5800.The zenith is 645$ but word is they will be around R7000 locally instead of around rge 5k mark.This will not give them a good shot at the market.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    I would love to hear feedback myself re.the BVK.It seems the shootout was based on the best "allround" rod and not necessarily the best rod.The zenith seems to do everything well yes,but i bet that the guys using a z-axis or streamdance arent gonna swop because of the shootout result.The shootout is slightly scetchy though.They could have used an even more structured test and given a bit more feedback on the feel,comparisons accuracy of all rods etc.
    The one negative thing about the zenith is the price locally.The z-axis is 695$ and locally R5800.The zenith is 645$ but word is they will be around R7000 locally instead of around rge 5k mark.This will not give them a good shot at the market.
    For an accuracy test, they would have to do an "angler" shootout.
    btw, all shootouts are sketchy and subjective.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Thats the thing,they will have to use say 3 different anglers,who are known for different styles.that would give a better indication of how THEY perceive the rods.The shootout does however offer a reasonable look at rods a person is not fimiliar with.It was surprising to see the americans choosing a hardy as winner though.

There were four guys who tested all the rods...James & George Anderson, Robert Kovich and Justin Bolduc, all great anglers and casters.
    George Anderson has helped Sage and G.Loomis with rod design...and has won many fly fishing comps. So the guys know their stuff.

On all rods they used the same reels, fly lines, leaders and tippets, and all were tested under the same conditions.
    This test is about as un-biased and fair as you will get.

Just by the fact that the Americans choose a hardy should tell you it is un-biased and fair.

Yes, there will ALWAYS be people who slate them for tests like this, and say "these shoot-outs are junk"...
    And a lot of anglers will choose differently because of their preferences...but at the end of the day, these guys do a really good test, it's un-biased and fair. By their own admission, 90% of the people who mail them about these shoot-outs agree with them.

If nothing else, we should say thanks to them for taking the time and effort and doing this...it gives one great insight into each rod. I think it's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Just by the fact that the Americans choose a hardy should tell you it is un-biased and fair.
    No, it just tells us how stupid Americans are......
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    No, it just tells us how stupid Americans are......
    Yeah...isn't America where Sage comes from?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast