Thread: South African Abroad

Default South African Abroad

Hi All- I plan to fish the Holsloot on Thursday, 3 Feb. I may go to some private fishing waters or maybe booking a beat. I am a member of CPS. Is there somebody who can give me advice which flies are suitable for this time of the year (very hot) or where I can obtain/purchuse good ones? I ty my own flies, but need nymphs and dries from #16 down. Is the water easy accessable to fish because I had majory surgery to my back a few months ago? Are wading boots necessary?

I was advised to fish the Smalblaar on the Hotel beat, but the place with all its development is not appealing to me.

I work abroad and dont have very small size hooks to ty at the moment for what I need. All my tying stuff is here in UAE and I will fill up when in SA.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Hein

Welcome Hein,

I hear the queen fish are think just outside Abu Dhabi...

This time of year the east coast also have lots of dorrado, cuta and queens...

Enjoy your trip to SA.
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Hi Hein

The Holsloot is very difficult to get to access is very tuff. Hiking in and out (or should i say bundu basing) is very difficult.
    I f you have difficulty walking i would rather suggest you do hotel beat, Roadworks beat or EP 1.

As to flies, Try Flytalk at eikendal or Stream X.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Welcome Hein,

I hear the queen fish are think just outside Abu Dhabi...

This time of year the east coast also have lots of dorrado, cuta and queens...

Enjoy your trip to SA.
    You been into my ''cabbage'' patch again.???
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by JAG View Post
    Hi Hein

The Holsloot is very difficult to get to access is very tuff. Hiking in and out (or should i say bundu basing) is very difficult.
    I f you have difficulty walking i would rather suggest you do hotel beat, Roadworks beat or EP 1.

As to flies, Try Flytalk at eikendal or Stream X.
    Hein, as Jag says, it's not an easy place to fish if you don't know where the entry is to the river and if you get out at the wrong place it just a serious bush in front of you and with a bad back already, I would rather fish a beat on the Smalblaar. You will be so caught up in the vibe that you don't even hear the traffic. Also, the fish are super spooky at the moment so you will have your work cut out for you. I promise, you Holsloot on your own and a bad back, AND, not knowing where to get in and out, is going to be a nightmare.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    You been into my ''cabbage'' patch again.???
    Been there done that....
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Thanks so much guys for the excellent advice. It will be my first time on a WC stream, and I can't wait to be out there. I didn't fly fish for nearly 2 years. Apart from the Hotel beat, which other beat on SB is "easy" for walking?

Quote Originally Posted by HeinZaayman View Post
    Thanks so much guys for the excellent advice. It will be my first time on a WC stream, and I can't wait to be out there. I didn't fly fish for nearly 2 years. Apart from the Hotel beat, which other beat on SB is "easy" for walking?
    Ep1 or smalblaar 6 are relatively easy. SB2 is a long beat. You park at the weir on SB3, (leaving space for the Sb3 guys also to park) and then walk down the highway till you see the fish painted on the road to signal the start of the beat. I strongly recommend good wading boots and a wading stick. It's a long beat with fewer but bigger fish but it's not that easy out there in this heat. Contact Philip (Fish) at Eikendal or Craig (archerfish) at Steam X for flies and equipment.
    Enjoy
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    Steam X.
    Enjoy
    Is that a recommendation for the late night movie you perved over last night?
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)