Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, i'm new

Default Hi, i'm new

Hi all, i'm an extreme newbie in fly fishing.

My girl baught a beginners rod and reel, with floating line and a few flies for christmas.
    I took my gear with when we went camping on the Vaal river (by Parys) in the first week of Jan. (And yeah, the campsite was over flowing by the 5th)

I did get into the water and started casting (found it totally relaxing) but unfortunately i didn't get a nibble.

i would like to find out more about the sport from real fly fishermen and not only some books. ( i work at exclusive books, and have gone throu a book or two by now)

I relly enjoyed the relaxing part of it, but I really want to have a battle with a fish or two in the near future. So ANY help would be appreciated
    Thanx

Welcome to the wonderful sport/hobby.There is so much to learn ,and you will never stop learning,even after decades of angling.The best thing would be is to ask questions about a specific species,venue,setup or anything on your mind,it will be easier for us to assist you along.Also use the search function to find out about things already discussed that you might want to know.Enjoy

thanx for the tip and the welcome

i'm already checking out the casting threads

welcome Reaper! i agree on the use of the search function!!! there are lots of conversations for beginners explaining the drifts needed (mostly drag free)
    as well as flies for various areas and tippets etc.

keep searching and also have a look further down the page on "forum home" under the headings. all the info is on here if you're willing to look for it.

i learnt almost everything i know about the vaal from the search function as well as from the members. we are all willing to help get you started up and efficient so dont be shy.

enjoy the forum bud and happy fishing (when the waters recede)!

thanx gazzarowan, iv'e been looking around and found a lot of answers

and don't worry, the water didn't scare me away... only got me more interested

Firstly welcome Reaper.
    I hope that you realise that both your and your girfreinds wallets are going to be emptier than usual now that you have been bitten by the bug.
    The search function, as well as reading will get you in the right direction.

Then read all the replies/posts to various yellowfish threads, and decide who you would like to show you the ropes.

You have the VERY competent, serious type , like Gerrit, CJ, Dizzy, Michael, GGY, ET, Wade, JockO, Troutmaster, Pieterkriel, et al.

Then you have us sometimes competent, social type, like OMR ( AKA Chris Williams ), Rory, SchlossD1, SAGixer, Shamwari ( when he's allowed to fish ) Williaby, Mike Sch, Flyfanatic, etc.

Once you have decided, PM someone and ask them to take you with. After all, as Gary Player said, the more I practise the luckier I get.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Then you have us sometimes competent, social type, like OMR ( AKA Chris Williams ), Rory, SchlossD1, SAGixer, Shamwari ( when he's allowed to fish ) Williaby, Mike Sch, Flyfanatic, etc.
    You make us sound like a book club....

Regards
    Adrian

'Life is not a matter of holding good cards but of playing a poor hand well.' ~Robert Louis Stevenson

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a man and a dog.~ Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by SaGixer View Post
    You make us sound like a crook club...
    And this surprises you ... why ?
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Thank you Herman, i'll have a look into it.

Blog Entries

Morning Reaper,
    Welcome to the real life....
    Try a book by Louise van der Westhuizen - Thining Fly fishing,
    Give him a call and he will even teach you himself the finer details of flyfishing.
    He is in his element when he can pass his knowledge.
    If you cant get hold of the book, drop me a line i will give you his number.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast