Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shad on Fly!

Default Shad on Fly!

Guys i have tried my luck at Saltwater a few times and caught some small little gullie fish and some baby Kingies! My question is with regards to trying to catch Shad on fly. Whats the best way to go about it? Steel trace or not?
    Ect ect.If anybody can give me some help it will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Matt
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

http://www.bamba.co.za

I'm sure Sudesh has some info on his site, otherwise email him.

I don't think he likes using trace wire though, rather uses a bite tippet of heavier mono.

Hi Matt,

A few tips when targeting shad:

- When fishing in the sea focus on areas where there is some foam on the water's surface, preferably around reefs.
    - Focus most of your efforts during low light conditions i.e. dawn and dusk, a shad's eye adjust quicker to light changes than other species/prey.
    - Your main challenge is to find the fish, move often, look out for birds working the water, local knowledge etc.
    - Concentrate on hole's, drop offs and rips when fishing estuaries.
    - Retrieve medium fast erratic.
    - I've been bitten off often, I have also caught a few shad without the use of wire, my vote is definitly to use wire. Single strand No. 4 with a Haywire twist.
    - As a compromise fish fly patterns where the fly is tied further back at the bend of the hook, pencil poppers etc.

At times I think it is not the fish you've hooked biting you off, but one of his buddies seeing the fly outside the hooked fish's mouth. These okes will kick a piranha's ass when feeding.

Most of the standard fly patterns work, clousers, woolhead mullets, poppers etc.

Thanks a lot for the help guys its much appreciated
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Matt, I'll be in Uvongo this w/e from Friday to Monday if you've got time come & join me.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi Matt

I normally use mono it give more life to the fly, but i check my mono trace after every few cast just to check for wear and tear. I like using a white salty bugger, shivan and small clousers. They tend to trash your flies ... he he he

Ya i have got those flies so i will give it a try thanks!

Herman correct me if i am wrong but isnt Uvongo about 1hr from Durban?

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    Guys i have tried my luck at Saltwater a few times and caught some small little gullie fish and some baby Kingies! My question is with regards to trying to catch Shad on fly. Whats the best way to go about it? Steel trace or not?
    Ect ect.If anybody can give me some help it will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Matt
    Hi Matt,

I have had good success catching Shad on fly, you don't need a steel trace, a good fluoro carbon tippet (15-20 pound) will do the trick, when fishing for these fish, fly selection is not that important as when they are on the feed they take anything. I like using a salty bugger or chartreuse deceiver a quick retrieve works well, the only thing is when you find the shad you usually got to contend with many bait fisherman which makes things difficult, so us as fly fisherman have to usually have to find them as where. Sometimes casting has to be far to reach the fish. I do have some spots if you want let me now and I will tell you where to find them.

Peter

Hey Matt

I agree with the other guys about no wire. Some hard mono, like RIO 20lb or something is fine. Haven't caught many shad, but white clousers seem to do the job

Tight lines bro

matt
    do yourself a favour and keep some wire with you. nothing worse than hooking into some big fish and they biting you off all the time. nothing to lose bud
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast