Thread: Corumana Dam Mozambique

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Corumana Dam Mozambique

I've been fishing Southern Africa from 1991. Tigerfish in the Lukulu area (Upper Zambezi) Nile perch in Lake Tanganjika, Kariba, Cahorra Bassa and more. My last trip was to Corumana Dam in Mozambique and was I suprised. Tigerfish, Bream, Catfish and more took flies and I was not properly equiped to catch the big one.
    Jaco v Deventer

those pics are amazing!!!

where did you stay when you went there? that would be a great trip. did you have a boat or were you fishing from the banks?

what was the area like? security etc?

good fish

There is a fully equiped Safari Camp on the dam. I found it very safe in the area. The property is gaurded by Gaurda de Fronteira from the government. They are all armed. Most of the Tigers were caught right infront of the camp. I lost a couple of big ones on fly just behind the grass.

At the South African border to Kruger (by boat)it was a jol. Sometimes you line just touched water and you get a strike. The hippos were a bit of a problem. I estimate tigers of 6kg+. My rodholders were tied with 2 x 4mm cableties. The tigers ripped it out. Explorer XTS could not keep up. I bought 40lbs tracers (Tested at 40lbs) and lost them all. I'll be going back in the near future with the right tackle.
    Jaco v Deventer

great stuff...

When you go back with your heavy tackle, try release some of your catch , especially the non-edibles.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff View Post
    When you go back with your heavy tackle, try release some of your catch , especially the non-edibles.
    and leave the pliers in the tool box.
    Don't get confused with my personality and my
    attitude...my personality is who I am...my attitude
    depends on who you are.....

@ geoff. I always release, if you dowload any of those pics of tigerfish and zoom you will see that they were caught in nets and the fish was badly injured. We are currently trying to zone the dam for angling only on the western side.
    Jaco v Deventer