Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Deep Yellowtail

(double post)
    Last edited by petercoetzee; 19-01-11 at 08:14 PM.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

Point taken denton after paying a couple hundred dollars for a charter you'll be surprised at what you're willing to do to get to the fish!

@Jono - makes sense. Bet a couple ball sinkers will really get it down! Haha That's the advantage of being on your own boat. I'm sure half the skippers I've fished with think I'm crazy or stupid or both with my little trout rods.

On a more interesting note- just got back from de mond. Water temp was 26 deg on the push (measured off the bridge) Never felt anything like it outside the tropics. 2 deg warmer than the OAT. No bull shark this time. Thank g0d.
    Nothing else either. Must be an incredibly warm current pulling accross struisbaai
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

looks like it pete !!!
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Nice, thanks to global warming we'll soon be catching kingies off Cape point ...
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

no wonder the okes are catching striped marlin and wahoo off struis!

Stripeys and Marlin have been on the Agulhas banks for years. In 1930 (ish) a giant travelly was caught in False Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Botes View Post
    Stripeys and Marlin have been on the Agulhas banks for years. In 1930 (ish) a giant travelly was caught in False Bay.

i was told the other day that there have been 2 great white attacks of mouille point. any truth to that?

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    On a more interesting note- just got back from de mond. Water temp was 26 deg on the push (measured off the bridge) Never felt anything like it outside the tropics. 2 deg warmer than the OAT. No bull shark this time. Thank g0d.
    Nothing else either. Must be an incredibly warm current pulling accross struisbaai
    On 6 January we were out from Gordons bay. Whilst traveling to cape point the water temp never reached more than 14 degrees. We had to run out 2 hours further before we reached water of 18 degrees. We found no tuna only a strong southeaster (not the westerly wind as predicted) but on return to the bay the water was 26 degrees at certain spots. Where do you guys think this warm water came from. The temp charts from the previous day did not show any warm water close to the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    On 6 January we were out from Gordons bay. Whilst traveling to cape point the water temp never reached more than 14 degrees. We had to run out 2 hours further before we reached water of 18 degrees. We found no tuna only a strong southeaster (not the westerly wind as predicted) but on return to the bay the water was 26 degrees at certain spots. Where do you guys think this warm water came from. The temp charts from the previous day did not show any warm water close to the coast.
    Chris
    be careful of measured temp becase that is the surface temp and can be -4 degrees cooler less than a meter below the surface
    on the blistering days in cpt earlier the month we had surface temps of 19 + degrees at robben but as you move it drops off rapidly 14 deg

In false bay as the tide goes out it pulls the water that has been warming up on the beaches back out into the bay and this warmer water "floats" ontop of the colder water untill its mixed

also the these are sea temp "models" its what they calculate on some prediction scale (they dont actualy have a way of mesuring )and are often 24-48 hrs behind and not that accurate
    we use them mainly to see where the warm current is pushing and how close it is to the land it is

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    Chris
    be careful of measured temp becase that is the surface temp and can be -4 degrees cooler less than a meter below the surface
    on the blistering days in cpt earlier the month we had surface temps of 19 + degrees at robben but as you move it drops off rapidly 14 deg

In false bay as the tide goes out it pulls the water that has been warming up on the beaches back out into the bay and this warmer water "floats" ontop of the colder water untill its mixed

also the these are sea temp "models" its what they calculate on some prediction scale (they dont actualy have a way of mesuring )and are often 24-48 hrs behind and not that accurate
    we use them mainly to see where the warm current is pushing and how close it is to the land it is

/d
    I also thaught it must be the sun, but with the southeaster blowing the water should have mixed out where we first got these hot spots of water. closer to the shore, the wind wasn't blowing but the temp dropped a bit to 18 degrees (more what would be expected as you mentioned). I dunno, it was strange imo. Its a diferenece of 14 degrees. Maybe the equipment was faulty, although I doubt it.

With regard to the charts, I understand it that way, but they did not predict any warm water close to shore and the southeast was blowing out at sea... Thye warm current as I said was 2 hours out from Cape point traveling at 18-24 knots (31ft butcat with 2x 250hp). Strange, but the heat wave probably helped it along.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2