Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Parachute RAB

Default Parachute RAB

I had some requests to do a Step by Step, first a bit of background.

The parachute RAB was born during my preparations for the 2007 South African National Championships to be hosted by Western Province on the Cape Streams. During a practise session on Elandspad beat I was catching the odd fish on a black Klinkhammer. I wasn’t satisfied with the results, too many fish came up to the fly refusing it at the last second. There had to be a fly the fish would scrutinise less, a fly that would trigger these finicky fish. For the first time ever I tied on a standard RAB and was very impressed with the results. However, I perceived the RAB to have a few shortcomings, it twisted the tippet rather easily in the windy conditions and as a result of this it wasn’t easy to turn over the leader. Since the RAB has long hackles the hook up to strike ratio wasn’t that great, it still proved much more effective than any other fly.

Back home I decided to incorporate the effectiveness of the RAB into a parachute version, After quite a few attempts I came up with the first “demo models”. The standard ringneck pheasant or goose fibres used for the legs were rather lifeless and I started to experiment with alternative materials. First it was mongoose, still a bit too stiff. Squirrel tail fibres proved to be better and are still the material I use the most. Arctic fox is also great, especially for size #16’s. I kept the basic colour combinations of white, brown and red.

I believe the following factors contribute to the parachute RABs effectiveness.

- When drifting the squirrel legs come to life, gently blow the fly and you will see exactly what I mean. The legs vibrate and every so often a fish will inspect the fly, drift with it and then gently sip it in, classic.
    - Because of the above, the fly has a very distinctive ‘presence’. The tippet becomes secondary even when not cutting the surface tension on smooth water.
    - Being a parachute pattern it casts much easier in windy conditions.
    - Being a parachute pattern the hook up rate is better in my opinion. I also tie a Klinkhammer version when the water is low.
    Our team won that year and I took individual gold, of the 20 fish I landed on the river only one didn’t take the parachute RAB, that was the last fish, I didn’t have any parachute RABs left.

Recipe

Hook: Gamakatsu S10 #12 - #16
    Thread: 8/0 Red
    Tail: Cock hackle fibres or Coq de Leon
    Rib: Fine copper wire
    Abdomen: Pheasant tail fibres, substitute with Egyptian goose or stripped peacock herl.
    Thorax: Peacock herl.
    Legs: Squirrel tail fibres.

[CENTER]Step 1

Strip 6 – 8 fibres stiff fibres (these are found in the top half of the feather) off the feather stem. In The tail should be approximately 1.5 times hook shank length.

Step 2

Tie in the Frizz fibre at the position shown. Cut the fibre at an angle, this will form a tapered under body.

Step 3

Tie in the copper wire, advance the thread to the start of the tail.

Step 4

Leave a short red tag and tie in 2 pheasant tail fibres by the tips. Apply varnish, this with the copper wire makes for a durable fly.

Step 5

Wrap the pheasant tail fibres to a position just short of the post. Counter wrap the copper wire. Take the wire around the front of the post and tie off.

Step 6

Lift the post to a vertical position and wrap thread around the base to keep the post in this position.

Step 7

Tie in approximately 12 squirrel tail hair fibres, this should be 4 times hook shank length and tied in on top facing forward over the hook eye. Tie in the hackle, followed by peacock herl. Wrap the peacock herl, apply varnish to the thread and whip finish.

Default Parachute RAB continue

Step 8

Place the fly vertical in the vise, and start the thread as you would when starting any fly. Personally I find it much easier tying parachute patterns like this.

Step 9

Wrap the hackle and trim the excess. At this point cut the post shorter, this will improve the castability of the fly.

Step 10

Fold the squirrel tail fibres back and lock it in with two thread wraps. Space the fibres evenly around the post, apply varnish to the thread and whip finish.

A CDC Klinkhammer version with a foam post

lovely fly, thanks for posting
    ---------------------------------------------
    http://wildjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Brilliant pattern. Thanks for the SBS.
    Mike Mitchley

Great SBS

Thanks....
    Gerhard Delport

We lose ourselves in the things we love.
    We also find ourselves there... Too

Awesome!! Im sure a lot of guys can learn from that!!

Great SBS!

Thanks for sharing. Have you ever experimented tying your rabs paraloop style? Don't know how much of an advantage it'll add, but if fish are for whatever reason spooky might make a difference?
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Hi Liam,

I haven't and don't think a fish will reject the one and take the other.

Cheers

lovely post but where are the pics?
    Regards
    Craig

Fixed.

Thank You

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast