Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: R2800 to spend?????

Default R2800 to spend?????

So i have roughly got this amount ot spend on a new flyrod.I am looking at a 5wt rod that can turn a decent dry and present delicately aswell as blast a long line with streamer or nymph setup.
    My interests are;
    1.redington rs4
    2.tfo bvk(hear some real good stuff about these)
    3.vision gtfour
    4.vision cult
    5.stealth infinity
    If anyone can give me some feedback on any of these it will be much appreciated.It will just give me a clearer picture as to what might suit me.Any other suggestions welcome.

Try and fish with each one a day.

What I like in a rod, is not what you prefer.
    Your casting style is completely different from mine.
    I might fish in a very windy area, and need a faster action than you.
    You might prefer to fish small flies, and I big bushy flies.
    The casting differs completely.
    How do you fight a fish, Broomstick style, as hard as possible.
    Or do you let the rod do the work?

I have seen more people fish the wrong rod, because they bought on recomendation from friend/shop/expert and hate the rod, than exactly buying the right rod on such recommendation.

I think bigger rods, are easier, because they are used for much the same, big flies, big fish, stronger fish etc. But up to an #7, find a rod that you enjoy to fish.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I agree totaaly with all you say Korrie.I however would like to compare what i know about the rods(after reading up extensively about them)and what the public experiences.Weight in hand,castibilty at distance,grip,finish,guarantee experiences etc.Anything that would aid me in my decision.Living in Bloem we dont get chance to cast too many different models,only on ocassion at a meeting.Unless the retailer i buy from is willing to offer me an exchange plan if not happy:

This question is like asking a room full of men what they prefer in 1000 women parading before them....
    The debate will go on forever.

In the end, YOU have to decide. If you buy something based on another guy's opinions and recommendations, you may be very dissapointed. (Unless you actually fish with the guys in question and know their tastes.)

From the list you mention...they are all good rods. You really can't go wrong with any of them. I would add the Stealth Magnum (normal one, not the Magnum Plus)...for the money, you can't beat the action and performance of that rod. And it's sub R1600.00 now I think.

I can eliminate the tfo if the ferrules dont "lock properly" like the other models.Anyone know whether this is the case or have they finally made a rod with proper looking ferrule joins?The redington is a great choice at R1850 odd especially now that they have agents in S.a.The vision i will be casting next week.

dont buy a vision !!
    guys have been waiting up to 6 months with no answer about spares
    add an echo into your mix they are awsome

/d
    Last edited by damage; 28-01-11 at 05:09 PM.
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

For the budget mentioned you should look at TFO's Jim Teeny and also the Greys Streamflex.Or you can save a lil longer and buy the
    Sage 99.
    Gerrit Viljoen

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Living in Bloem we dont get chance to cast too many different models,only on ocassion at a meeting.Unless the retailer i buy from is willing to offer me an exchange plan if not happy:
    One thing you can do is try out the Stealth Infinity, they have a deal where you can try out their rod and return it within 30 days if you are not satisfied.

I think its a fantastic rod for the money. Have used the 4 weight, not the 5 though.

It is a good deal on the Stealth Infinity. not sure what the cost is.
    but to try a rod for 30days.

It is a lovely finished rod.
    Fast action.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    I can eliminate the tfo if the ferrules dont "lock properly" like the other models.Anyone know whether this is the case or have they finally made a rod with proper looking ferrule joins?The redington is a great choice at R1850 odd especially now that they have agents in S.a.The vision i will be casting next week.
    Nee Boet, the BVK ferrules go together beautifully.
    It would be my first choice.
    Regards
    Craig

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast