Thread: Gauteng Bass easter Weekend

Cool Gauteng Bass easter Weekend

Hi there

I am going to be in Gauteng for Easter weekend, and I would love to go bass fishing.

Now I know there are lots of places to go, and I have read the other topics regarding Gauteng places, but I have a few questions that I think are not covered.

I need a place that conforms to the following (If possible )
    1. I can only fish from the bank
    2. Place for kids to play
    3. Few or no "radio on full blast tappits"
    4. Decent sized bass (duh!). By that I don't mean trophy bass though, anything from 1kg and up will suffice
    5. Day visitors allowed
    6. No more than 1.5hours from JHB

I found a few places:
    1.Oppiekoppie Bass Farm,
    2. Henelaarsvriend Vakansie Oord
    3. Brookwood - ( Kromdraai, near Mildersdrift )
    4. Murray Park - ( Springs )
    5.Vas Fontein - 20km North of Pretoria
    6. Nigel dam

Feel free to comment on the above and to perhaps add a few. I don't mind paying a bit extra for a better place!!! Money isn't the issue, but I do want a fun family day out.

Your input is much valued thanks!

I will be fishing the Nigel dam on the 7th April. However as far as a family fun day out, FORGET IT. Sorry, but the place is very "rough", terrain wise as well as people wise! I am hoping that 'cos I'll be in an inflatable that I'll be safer than "parked" on the bank.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Hi Loams

Varsfontein is ok but can get very busy, the bass there are also flogged each weekend so ????

Brookwood is great for the family day out but the fishing is average.

Murry park in Springs is a good fishing spot but not a family destination, car safety is also a problem from what i hear

Klein paradys near brits is not too bed fishing, Tye and i both got our PB Kurper within a short while of each other and i have managed to get a few fair bass out the water but what is best is the place was made for family outingss with lapa's, Braaie's, mowed lawns, swimming pools and clean toilets.

I there are 2 dams near potch that almost meet all your requirements but fishing from the bank is a bit difficult.

If you do find a venue worth mentioning please let us know so that i cna take my family along some time
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Loams I wouldn't recommend Hengelaars vriend for fly fishing. I havent been there in a while but from what I remember the willows are too close to the bank so casting your fly out is very difficult, also get very crowded.

Klein paradys like Wade said is pretty cool and I saw some nice bass in one of the dams. Let us know what you come up with.
    Fishing is just my thing. I don't know what it is but it seems that i just can't get enough of it.

Thank you for the input guys.

With that I will more than likely bow out gracefully from this forum. No offense, but I am not a fly fisherman. I am what you would call a Rapala Slinger.. But once I get some culture in my body and take up the gentle sport of fly fishing, be assured that I will certainly return

I haven't decided which venue to go to yet, but once I come back I will give you guys some feedback and maybe you could use the info

Cheers,

Loams