Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Invasion of Barbel

Default The Invasion of Barbel

Over December I travelled via Namakwaland back to Cape Town.

We drove via Williston, and stayed over.
    I chatted to people who have land, where the Sak River and the Sout river flows thru.
    The flows dries up, but the big pools ALWAYS had water.
    Subteranean flows etc. These rivers in the past always had Clanwilliam Yellows as well. The locals told me that they are now catching barbel even in these remote pools of the rivers.

Barbel have been caught in the Clanwilliam dam, spotted in the Elandspad etc.

I wonder if there is a river system left in SA, that have not been invested with the sharp tooth catfish?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

HI Korrie

I love catching Sharptooth but it is very sad to hear that they have gotten so "out of control".

I still think that all our national waters should be opened up to angelers targeting invasive species and if they remove these species then they have there day ticket tarrif refunded.

This will mean more people targeting these species and a source of food for the poorer populations of our country.

Just a thought
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

The Nature conservation acknowledges the potential problem that the barbel will be posing.

The invasive nature could potentially pose a much bigger threat than Small mouth bass or trout in most systems.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

My goodness I always thought that Barbel was indigenous, now who would do such a evil deed by introducing these monsters to our precious aquatic resources?

Another problem with Barbel is that they are not only aggressive predators, but their feeding habits stir up a lot of sediment.

When we moved to the farm in 2002, the Riviersonerend had that beautiful transparent coca-cola coloured water so typical of Cape streams. We were able to catch Bass and Bluegill in the river, and my labourers caught eels at night.

In about 2006, my labourers started catching barbel while fishing for eels. At the same time, the bass and bluegill disappeared and the river became turbid. It has never recovered and now, you wouldn't see a Secchi disk deeper than about 50cm.

The barbel have not only eaten the other fish species (including some witvis), but they've destroyed an entire ecosystem. Now my laboureres are beginning to catch carp - the end of a river!!!

The Gobos river, with an endemic Galaxia, runs into the Riviersonderend. It's only a matter of time before that endemic Galaxia population disappears.

Work in Zambia... live in Notties, KZN Midlands.

[QUOTE=I wonder if there is a river system left in SA, that have not been invested with the sharp tooth catfish?[/QUOTE]

Stream X

Jokes aside it is very sad that catfish are spreading through our waterways.
    "Ex Africa simper aliquid novi" - Pliny the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    My goodness I always thought that Barbel was indigenous, now who would do such a evil deed by introducing these monsters to our precious aquatic resources?
    They are endemic to SA, but not endemic to all rivers.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Taylor View Post
    Another problem with Barbel is that they are not only aggressive predators, but their feeding habits stir up a lot of sediment.

When we moved to the farm in 2002, the Riviersonerend had that beautiful transparent coca-cola coloured water so typical of Cape streams. We were able to catch Bass and Bluegill in the river, and my labourers caught eels at night.

In about 2006, my labourers started catching barbel while fishing for eels. At the same time, the bass and bluegill disappeared and the river became turbid. It has never recovered and now, you wouldn't see a Secchi disk deeper than about 50cm.

The barbel have not only eaten the other fish species (including some witvis), but they've destroyed an entire ecosystem. Now my laboureres are beginning to catch carp - the end of a river!!!

The Gobos river, with an endemic Galaxia, runs into the Riviersonderend. It's only a matter of time before that endemic Galaxia population disappears.
    You will have to teach the labourers to eat the barbel and the carp.

There are a couple of lovely recipes on the forum for both, it might just help to get them to eat more of the above mentioned species. As there are a natural "aversion" to both barbel and carp in certain circles.
    Korrie Broos

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    They are endemic to SA, but not endemic to all rivers.
    Ja man ek weet. Ek wou jou net nonsense tune
    Kyk ek dink Karp hou meer gevaar in vir enige sisteem as enige ander vis, want die goed teel soos hase. Kyk wat is besig om op die Vaal te gebeur met die steriel gras karpe.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    You will have to teach the labourers to eat the barbel and the carp.

There are a couple of lovely recipes on the forum for both, it might just help to get them to eat more of the above mentioned species. As there are a natural "aversion" to both barbel and carp in certain circles.
    They do eat them, but definitely prefer the eels. My son caught an 82cm carp further down in the Breede and cut large fillets off it for my staff. The flesh looked beautiful - Pink, almost like salmon. They made viskoekies and seemed to enjoy them. It is , after all, the most farmed fish in the world. But it's so damn detructive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast