Thread: Orkney for Yellows

Default Orkney for Yellows

Hi
    I’m relatively new to fly fishing and got few trout to date but want to see if I can get some yellows. I’ll be working on the mines near Orkney and was wondering if anyone perhaps knew about good accommodation on the river with good spots for yellows or of some good spots near Orkney where I can go and try for Yellows, not too far from Orkney?
    What flies would also work well and what should one look for?
    Thanks
    Regards
    Ruan

Wag 'n Bietjie Eco Farm?
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

hey man! orkney is usually a good area for yellows and if you use the search function on the top tab, you should find lots of info on the area. wrt accomodation maybe someone could help here? or just search on the net and see whats available on the river.

flies are the same or at least similar to other spots on the vaal and once again the search function will be you guide here.

id take tan/olive and black mayfly sizes 12-16
    some copper johns in red/black sizes 12-16 for droppers
    san juan worm has always been good to me size 16
    hotspot ptn seems to work for others sizes 12-16 i reckon
    chartreuse rockworm patterns sizes 10-16
    and olive/chartreuse/mustard/tan caddis weighted sizes 8-16 (i use a size 6 every now and then too)

just make sure ur flies are on the bottom!!!

this is just a start and my opinion only...but that should cover most situations.

when will you be there?

Firstly welcome to the forums.
    If you are going to be working on the mines in Orkney, I presume you will be staying close by.
    There are a lot of venues within 45 minutes drive or less from Orkney.
    Wawielpark, near Stillfontein
    Oord Nebo
    Woelwaters
    Elgro
    Schoemansdrift
    Wag 'n Bietjie

and a little bit further is Christiana, with great accommodation at Nkolo Spa, which is where the Bells is hosted from every year. There is enough water at Nkolo to keep you busy for a full week, never mind a weekend.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Welcome Ruan
    Maybe you should first try elgro outside Potch www.elgroriverlodge.co.za , when you phone them ask Gerdus if he can help you out with regards to the spots and flies , nice accommodation, they also have inflatable rafts for hire, a game farm and do long bow shooting. Aprox 40 mins from Orkney.

Then visit Wag n Bietjie www.wagnbietjie.net .
    If you are only going to fly fish just make sure the river has subsided, at the moment it won’t be as enjoyable. You don’t want to start off your vaal fishing in these flows. The guys here will give you an indication to when the conditions will be good enough.
    Enjoy

Thanks!!!

I will have look at some posts on the forum as well as the places you guys recommended.

Will be there either next week or the week after that.

Thanks again...

Blessings

Hi Machan

Welcom to the site

You can also try Orkney golf course for some yellow gold, unfortunately you can not stay there.
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Howzit,

I will recommend Wag n Bietjie. Mention to Andre ( the owner ) you are new and you would really like to fish BoomTuin. ( I would also ask him if he could help with some guiding , just for the first time.)

Andre Cell: 0828267076

Unfortunately the river is still pushing 110+ cm3/s . You need it to be between 20 and 40.

Good luck and welcome.