View Poll Results: What shoot be done about Mr Whiskas????

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kill Mr. Whiskas

41 78.85%
  • Leave Mr Whiskas alone.

7 13.46%
  • Who's Mr Whiskas

4 7.69%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Elandspad Weir pool Sharptooth Catfish

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    We should safely capture the catfish, and then transfer it to a safe dam, where it can, safely live until its dying day. Undisturbed by fluff chucking fly fisherman.
    Why not add another dimension to your fishing and plong a JM platanna in there that #3 broomstick of yours should be just the ticket!

jokes aside though, Killing the buggers isnt the easiest job in the world.
    And Im pretty sure relocating him would be a big no no ITO regulations so it would realistically be the only option other than leaving him be.
    If theres only one though it cant exactly reproduce, but I suspect wheres there is one theres likely more. sad to hear but cats to have the propensity to cover a hell of alot of ground, so it may well have got their under its own steam.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    Mmmmmm, this sounds like a really "effective" way to sabotage relations with the authorities. A lot of progress has been made with w.r.t. co-operation between Flyfishers and Cape Nature Conservation. Public statements like these benefit nobody and are very short sighted. "Ignorance" of the law is no excuse.

For those that don't know what Mr Whiskas is capable of........
    http://www.zandvleitrust.org.za/art-...20project.html
    Geez, next time I'll put a flame suit on

My statement had in no way whatsoever the intention to harm ANY progress made between authorities or the flyfishers and Cape Nature.

I have gone and read up a bit about the sharp tooth catfish (Clarias gariepinus) and it's a native fish to South African waters, except in Western Cape waters, to which it has been introduced (just like our beloved trout). So let's go and get that Mr. Whiskers out of the weir, smoke the meat (quite a delicacy - or so I have been told) and then use the leathery skin to make yourself a handbag
    Last edited by KB280DT; 14-02-11 at 12:28 PM.
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markdej View Post
    ...but cats to have the propensity to cover a hell of alot of ground, so it may well have got their under its own steam.
    Only when the ground is damp according to http://www.south-african-game-reserv...ish/barbel.htm

The Barbel can also move over land when damp conditions are present
    and here's another source:

http://www.ecotravel.co.za/african-w...gariepinus.htm

sharptooth catfish have even been known to travel short distances overland by wriggling through grass wet with dew, to reach otherwise inaccessible stretches of water.
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

Hellooooo

I was just joking about moving Mr Whiskers.

Shoot the bugger with a speargun.
    And for this statement, the SPCA, will probaly shoot me.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

I would love to get this barbel for eating.
    Will probaly have the cleanest meat in the country.
    Imagine being a barbel, living in a crytal clean mountain stream, having only trout to eat everday.

Probably a barbel's idea of heaven.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I would love to get this barbel for eating.
    Will probaly have the cleanest meat in the country.
    Imagine being a barbel, living in a crytal clean mountain stream, having only trout to eat everday.

Probably a barbel's idea of heaven.
    Hi Korrie,

My Oupa used to braai for us barbel from the crocodile.I grey up in the Koedoeskop area and eating babers wasn't weird,odd,bad. Chicken alla king!
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 14-02-11 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KB280DT View Post
    They can also get in a wet hessian sack soaked in Old Brown, jump in a cars boot and travel from JHB to CT without dying. (True rumour!!)
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

hmmm...
    Sitting here twiddling my thumbs with speargun ready on the back stoep wandering at what point the results of this pole become official!?
    Trout are as much a part of South Africa as the oak trees are of Stellenbosch – not to be planted in wilderness areas where they do not already occur, but to be valued where they are established.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    They can also get in a wet hessian sack soaked in Old Brown, jump in a cars boot and travel from JHB to CT without dying. (True rumour!!)
    I did 90km on a dirt road with a Brabel in a Keep Net. Stopped every now and then and poured water over it. Got to my Uncle's farm and chucked it in the farm dam. Its 5 years later and that thing is still alive and kicking.

Barbel survive in the mudbeds of rivers in the Kalahari. When the rain comes they swim as long as the water stays there and then its back to the mud again. They aren't called mermaids for nothing...

I agree that there may well be more further down the stream so will have a look along the some of the other pools too...

Out of interest we had a Sharptooth Catfish in the Jonkershoek Aquarium when I was there that was the only surviving fish when I took the aquarium over. To service the tanks we'd put him outside on the grass, clean the tank and hose him down occasionally to keep him going. I remember three occassions where we came in in the morning to find him "trekking" along the gutter towards the entrance hut in search of new water!! Eventually we installed grids over the drainage holes of the aquarium building to stop his little expeditions
    Trout are as much a part of South Africa as the oak trees are of Stellenbosch – not to be planted in wilderness areas where they do not already occur, but to be valued where they are established.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast