Thread: Stock a dam

Default Stock a dam

Hi All

Over the last couple years we have rebuilt a ground dam on our farm.

The dam is fed by natural springs and is mud sealed. it is conservatively 2million litres.

Currently it has a ridiculously healthy population of vlei kurper.

The dam is in the north west on the slopes of the magaliesburg. As such i reckon it will be too hot for trout (havent tested it or the authorities if i need permission to stock it with trout)

the dam is not connect to any river so there is no risk of escapees save for those who may drop from a fish eagle into the nearby river.

what fish can one stock that would make good ff targets? preferably i'd like to go indigenous.

Any thoughts or contact would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fly_mike View Post
    Hi All

Over the last couple years we have rebuilt a ground dam on our farm.

The dam is fed by natural springs and is mud sealed. it is conservatively 2million litres.

Currently it has a ridiculously healthy population of vlei kurper.

The dam is in the north west on the slopes of the magaliesburg. As such i reckon it will be too hot for trout (havent tested it or the authorities if i need permission to stock it with trout)

the dam is not connect to any river so there is no risk of escapees save for those who may drop from a fish eagle into the nearby river.

what fish can one stock that would make good ff targets? preferably i'd like to go indigenous.

Any thoughts or contact would be greatly appreciated.
    HI Mike.

After the dam being built , how did the vlei kurper arrive?? As long as the dam/stillwater does not connect to any river when in flood you should have no hassle in being able to stock it WITH ANY FISH YOU DESIRE, UNDER CONSERVATION , scrutiny that is. Yes they will come inspect the waters, and only on their approval will you be free to stock such waters.

Go anything you like, as long as its redfin/any minnows, indigenous of course.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

The biodiversity Act is pretty strict, even if you have a completely insulated dam. On the other hand, the rules regarding the keeping of fish as pets are pretty lenient. There are a lot of pet Vietnamese Catfish in the Eastern Cape

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    The biodiversity Act is pretty strict, even if you have a completely insulated dam. On the other hand, the rules regarding the keeping of fish as pets are pretty lenient. There are a lot of pet Vietnamese Catfish in the Eastern Cape
    So what do you deduce????
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

To be honest i don't know how they got there. the dam has now been established for a couple years. perhaps they were transported by a bird? I really don't know.

I don't know if its a good idea, legal or otherwise, but can one introduce yellows to a dam? I know they need running water to spawn (unfortunately its no sterkies).

What temperature range can trout survive? the water runs cold as it is mountain water, but the sun definitely cooks it a little in the dam itself.

what are the biggest minnows?? I actually want to have fun catching the fish on something more than a willow branch!!

Hi Mike

I'd respectfully suggest you join FOSAF (check the website) especially the Northvaal Yellowfish Working Group section and my fellow members there who are much more proficient than me on the prevailing rules/regulations will let you know what's good indigenous-wise for your specific area. They're all off this weekend in my farmland area Badplaas on the annual conference - but I am unfortunately (or fortunately..) stuck working on a big business project in Gauteng..

All the best on this and let me know if you need more details?

cheers,
    Chris
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    So what do you deduce????
    Keep your pet Amazonian Peacock Bass in your dam

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Louw View Post
    Keep your pet Amazonian Peacock Bass in your dam
    Peacock bass in any dam will be great fun.

Dave