Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Circel hooks and yellows

I tie my control flies on circles, and except for the theory of less snagging, I like the shape of the hook. Especially when tying HEAVY flies, there is more space for lead and dressing, still leaving enough of the hook point open. I have not experienced a problem with hook ups.

Ettiene you are wrong ito more lead + materials on a circle. A scud takes more of both. The snag topic is easy,weigh your flies correctly so that your fly swims right.A correctly weighted Caddis controller swims hook point up because you changed the centre of gravity.

Quote Originally Posted by Williaby View Post
    That makes sense and that has been my experience as well.

Here's another interesting one...

What about the use of circles (if you can find them small enough) on dry flies?
    When a fish turns on a dry would it hook itself?
    Has anyone tried this?
    I have seen dries on circles but bear in mind, they were Hoppers,etc tied on Streamer circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    Ettiene you are wrong ito more lead + materials on a circle. A scud takes more of both. The snag topic is easy,weigh your flies correctly so that your fly swims right.A correctly weighted Caddis controller swims hook point up because you changed the centre of gravity.
    Hi Gerrit - you are right - just compared a knapek scud no 10 with circle no 6, and got about the same amount of space for lead an material - probably just got stuck in a rut because I still have a shit laod of circles

I still like the shape of the circle though, and because I can weight them with a few wraps of lead(not to concerned about canging the centre of gravity), and the fact that I have not experienced any form of hook up problems, I will probably stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by etsteph View Post
    Hi Gerrit - you are right - just compared a knapek scud no 10 with circle no 6, and got about the same amount of space for lead an material - probably just got stuck in a rut because I still have a shit laod of circles

I still like the shape of the circle though, and because I can weight them with a few wraps of lead(not to concerned about canging the centre of gravity), and the fact that I have not experienced any form of hook up problems, I will probably stick to it.
    I enjoyed fishing them at one stage,honestly.But,there was a bit of a supplying issue in SA (still is) and hence I had to revert to another hook but eventually ended up using a different brand all together.Like you say, it's what you prefer and enjoy. I def think there are room for circles + yellows albeit limited in application in my opinion.
    Last edited by Gerrit Viljoen; 25-02-11 at 10:22 AM.

Morning Guys,
    There still is a supply problem in SA, the ONLY advantage the Circle hook has is the " SNAG FREE" thing. One of my mates tie a Bling Bling ( Gold Gaddis ?) on a size 2 Mustad Circle , and he actually hook and land fish on this. The moment we fish circles smaller than 12 you tend to " Pull" the hook straight out the yellows mouth. As Gerrit mentioned , the Caddis hook is perfect in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrit Viljoen View Post
    I have seen dries on circles but bear in mind, they were Hoppers,etc tied on Streamer circles.
    I have actually just tied a few hoppers and crickets on a circle streamer so will see how they go.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Ya, circle hooks for larger dry flies might be an option, although I have never tried them, I can't say for sure. Remember that circle hooks do not come in a very "light ' option, suitable for small dries with light dressing, so will therefore make the dry fly more prone to sink, unless, as I say, it's a larger fly with more buoyant and floatable dressing.
    Another comment I want to make, regarding the snagging prevention capabilities of circles..... it's fine to tie your fly, on a normal hook, weighted so that it swims upside down, thus believing that the hook point is going to point upwards, but remember that the current will cause the fly to swirl around, so it's unlikely that your hook point will be facing away from the bottom through the entire drift. Especially if you are fishing in a faster flowing rapid, the fly will be spinning around, bouncing off rocks and going up and down......regardless of how you distribute the physical weight.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

For me circle hooks are great for not snagging on the bottom, but use Gerrit's method of preventing snagging whilst fishing for SM.

I do not use circle hooks for fly fishing because you have a 50/50 chance of the hook setting properly. Bear with me and I will try and explain. If you take a bigish circle hook and tie a snell knot the correct way around the shank of the hook and pul the hook over the palm of your hand, it will hook a 100% of the tim. Now tie the snell the wrong way around and the hook will set 0% of the time. If you tie a regular knot onto the hook, you have a 50/50 chance of the hook lying the correct way around. I thus never use a circle hooks on flies as its imposible to tie them onto the tippet with a snell knot.

Hope this make sense to you guys

Quote Originally Posted by chrisvd View Post
    For me circle hooks are great for not snagging on the bottom, but use Gerrit's method of preventing snagging whilst fishing for SM.

I do not use circle hooks for fly fishing because you have a 50/50 chance of the hook setting properly. Bear with me and I will try and explain. If you take a bigish circle hook and tie a snell knot the correct way around the shank of the hook and pul the hook over the palm of your hand, it will hook a 100% of the tim. Now tie the snell the wrong way around and the hook will set 0% of the time. If you tie a regular knot onto the hook, you have a 50/50 chance of the hook lying the correct way around. I thus never use a circle hooks on flies as its imposible to tie them onto the tippet with a snell knot.

Hope this make sense to you guys
    N0!! it does not.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast