Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Good fly rod

From what I gather they are locally produced blanks.I am sure ricko will mention something soon regarding them.It will be intersting.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    From what I gather they are locally produced blanks.I am sure ricko will mention something soon regarding them.It will be intersting.
    Locally produced...I'd be very interested to hear more details then.

I know of a well known local rod manufacturing company that is now also pushing out fly blanks. But its baby steps at this stage.

Thumbs up

Very interesting day Saturday, we had some brand new in SA rods and blanks.We also had a fair number of casters. From rank beginners to very competent.

This is what we pickup on:

Local Blank : 10 " # 5/6 wt 3pc ( Mid Tip action , medium recovery )
    - You had to know what you were doing , the rod was loaded with a 5 wt floating , my personal opinion , i would use it with a 6. The rod loaded much better ( no wobble) with the six. Thus there are some more homework to be done. This blank is manufactured in SA , about a hour and a half from JHB. Watch this space , if the line weight correlate to the blank spec , we will have a very nice , quality Proudly South African blank at a very affordable price.

Ross Rods: 10" 9' switch # 5 4 piece. : AWESOME - for the money you pay and what you get 10/10.
    Cast ability : any one could cast this stick , even the rank beginners could get this guy going. The best of all , we used a WF5F and a skagiat 5wt line , both worked well. The finish on the rod - 9/10 .

THEN :
    Thomas & Thomas is on the verge to Launch a new range in their salt water collection: The TNT , come and cast this BABY . we were send a 9" 8wt blank to pass around a bit. Unlike T&T relaxed feel this rod is more aggressive , but still smooth with plenty reserve power. I might just keep it myself!!

Last cast:

Tomorrow we will receive our first sample rods " Emerger Series "in store , hopefully they are decent enough to take for a spin. will keep you guys informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    Watch this space , if the line weight correlate to the blank spec , we will have a very nice , quality Proudly South African blank at a very affordable price.
    Exciting news indeed!! Keep us informed it you will Ricko! Well done to whoever took this gap in the market should do well! Thanks again Ricko.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    I know of a well known local rod manufacturing company that is now also pushing out fly blanks. But its baby steps at this stage.
    Well, it can't be Stealth or Explorer, as neither of then are rod manufacturers.
    Who else can it be? Please tell.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3