Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Stealth Infinity vs TFO Profesional vs TFO BVK

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    I really don't understand this bit. After all the R&D from a company like Sage to determine the correct line to be used on a rod, we just ignore it and slap a heavier line on. What do they know anyway, right???
    Mario,i searched so many forums,sites etc about rods it almost feels like I have cassted all my researched rods.It seems the vxp is a great rod at distance,nice and lite ,responsive accurate.It was not designed for "presentation" purposes,but many guys said they "improved the up close presentation" by lining it up one.But that defeats the purpose of buying a 5wt rod.I am looking for a presentation rod,so the vxp is not what i really want,but its a good rod for a very good price.it seems most all rods you will have to compromise something,either distance or presentation,there seem to be very little that can do both.The streamdance seems to also be in the allround league though,but again,price.

Quote Originally Posted by Machann View Post
    will you guys go 10ft or 9ft?
    Its pretty subjective and based on your intended use.

Typically a 9' rod is regarded as a better casting rod, whereas a 10' rod has better reach so you can mend more easily and it is better suited to nymphing.
    The obvious down side being that 10'ers are pegged as not casting as well as 9'ers.

That being said, you will find a multitude of accomplished fishermen who will either use a 9' stating that a 10' offers no advantage for them or a multitude of accomplished fishermen who say 10' is the only way with no disadvantages being noticed.

Ultimately its up to you, your skill set and its intended application.
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Mario,i searched so many forums,sites etc about rods it almost feels like I have cassted all my researched rods.It seems the vxp is a great rod at distance,nice and lite ,responsive accurate.It was not designed for "presentation" purposes,but many guys said they "improved the up close presentation" by lining it up one.But that defeats the purpose of buying a 5wt rod.I am looking for a presentation rod,so the vxp is not what i really want,but its a good rod for a very good price.it seems most all rods you will have to compromise something,either distance or presentation,there seem to be very little that can do both.The streamdance seems to also be in the allround league though,but again,price.
    The more you want a rod to do, generally the more it costs

If there was such a thing as a rod to do it all, I guess we'd all have it (and maybe we do). A lot though depends on how each person handles a rod. I've seen guys going ON about how a rod cannot put the fly where it wants to because it's not an accurate rod. Then the next guy walk up, takes the same rod and puts down a fly on a dime. Weird how that works.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

10 foot definitely.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Machann View Post
    will you guys go 10ft or 9ft?
    I all depends on what typr of fishing you intend doing mostly.I currently have a 9'6 rod and I use it from nymphing to dry fly to streamer,no probs,I actually enjoy fishing it.If I buy my new rod however I will opt for the standard 9ft rod.

The longer the rod the less the power ito fighting fish. Longer rods have a load of advantages, but fighting fish ain't one of them!
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

The more you want a rod to do, generally the more it costs

If there was such a thing as a rod to do it all, I guess we'd all have it (and maybe we do). A lot though depends on how each person handles a rod. I've seen guys going ON about how a rod cannot put the fly where it wants to because it's not an accurate rod. Then the next guy walk up, takes the same rod and puts down a fly on a dime. Weird how that works.
    I for one used to shun any expensive rod as a waste of money,until i started using a few,then i got to understand why you pay the price you do.I also found that like a car,when you pick a rod up you can feel its meant to be,even before you casted it.Each guy also seems top experience rods differently,but that due to different styles,abilities etc.I am no master caster,but if i buy the rod i know should do what i want and does not,then at least i know the fault is with me and i can "learn'to use it properly.That is my aim at this stage.i know i can belt a full line out,but i have enough stiff rods to do that,i want something to help me cast better,if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    i want something to help me cast better,if that makes sense.
    ZXL? TXL-F?? Just to name the Sages. I must also say the T&T Whisper Lite impressed me a LOT! Very dramatic taper on that rod.
    Mario Geldenhuys

The longer the rod the less the power ito fighting fish. Longer rods have a load of advantages, but fighting fish ain't one of them!
    Mario
    Here I have to disagree with you.

A short rod might be stiffer.
    A longer rod might be just as stiff up to the point of the same lenght as the shorter rod. The tip might bend just that more.

A longer rod, with a softer tip, will absorb more of the shock if a fish turns and runs.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Mario
    Here I have to disagree with you.

A short rod might be stiffer.
    A longer rod might be just as stiff up to the point of the same lenght as the shorter rod. The tip might bend just that more.

A longer rod, with a softer tip, will absorb more of the shock if a fish turns and runs.
    I'll scan and send you an extract from Don Phillips' book. The math is against you Korrie, sorry.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast