Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Swartvlei here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by onemorecast View Post
    What is the minimum size for keeping a shad for the braai?
    Depends on the size of your braai??
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by onemorecast View Post
    What is the minimum size for keeping a shad for the braai?
    30cm, and a bag limit of 4. October and November are out of season, where Elf may not be caught....
    Heres a usefull link http://www.south-african-game-reserv.../baglimits.htm
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Default Trip report

We had a very memorable trip with two trips to the mouth (which was closed unfortunately) and two to the train bridge from our base at Placid Waters. That is a total of almost 28km rowing in our little inflatable in 4 days in sometimes very unforgiving headwinds and waves!

Leeries were plentiful at the bridge, and not surprising: the water under the bridge could at best be described as a soup of minnows. I was able to land around 6 with the largest being somewhere shy of 1.5kg.

We found another fly-fisher one morning working some flats who said he landed a beaut of over 70cm the previous afternoon, so they are still there and still take flies.

No trace of shad were to be found in Swartvlei, but I gave them a try at Buffelsbay from the rocks in front of the caravan park. Bait fishermen were bringing them in from very deep but none were to be found within my limited fly-casting range.

Best is to learn how to tie your own and get materials for chosen flies and you will not be left without. I live in Knysna and tie my own due to the lack of fly selections. There's also a new shop in the spar centre. Speakk to Shaun Brown. A fundi here in Kynsa and surrounds. He could fish before he could walk.
    " Not tonight baby! I gotta fly"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2