Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dry fly sinking

Treat your dry fly with a floatant before you start fishing it. False casting also helps to dry a soggy fly (I fished with a youngster the other day who would whip his leader back & forth a few times each time his fly started sinking - don't do that over the water you're about to fish.)

About fly-tying. Definitely start tying your own. I started a few months ago. It's a wonderful, quiet way to unwind in the evening. Start with easy things like wooly buggers and PTNs. Just buy the materials as you need them. You'll soon acquire a good fow thousand rands worth of fur & feathers.

And lastly, don't be intimidated by the outstanding quality of flies shown on this forum - use them as an inspiration but understand that often scruffy flies catch as many fish as those perfectly segmented artworks!!!

Good luck

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bekkerian View Post
    mmm geeez Im no expert so ill take n picture tonight(please dont laugh) and then you guys can tell me...

Ive got a vice and tools, but lack the knowhow and skill to tie my own flies... but at R5 a fly...maybe I should get myself a "fly tying for dummies" book at kalahari.net...any suggestions...
    If you think you are going to save money by tying your own flies...think again. It is more economical to continue buying. Fly tying is not about saving money, but exploring a whole new branch of the hobby.
    Also re the Hydrostop, remember to hydrostop all your flies a few days before you go fishing. Hydrostop is not like or float gel where you can apply it just before you fish. It has to be used correctly, and the flies given a chance to dry before you can fish them. Also if using gell, you cant apply more if the fly is wet. If the fly sinks with gel on it, chances are you have put on too much. If the fly sinks, dry it off well, by blotting it with bog roll or a synthetic chamois, and then dip it in top ride powder. If you use CDC flies , which you are not, because you are using bought flies, you must use CDC oil and not float gell.
    Hope this helps.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    If you think you are going to save money by tying your own flies...think again. It is more economical to continue buying. Fly tying is not about saving money, but exploring a whole new branch of the hobby.
    Also re the Hydrostop, remember to hydrostop all your flies a few days before you go fishing. Hydrostop is not like or float gel where you can apply it just before you fish. It has to be used correctly, and the flies given a chance to dry before you can fish them. Also if using gell, you cant apply more if the fly is wet. If the fly sinks with gel on it, chances are you have put on too much. If the fly sinks, dry it off well, by blotting it with bog roll or a synthetic chamois, and then dip it in top ride powder. If you use CDC flies , which you are not, because you are using bought flies, you must use CDC oil and not float gell.
    Hope this helps.
    Spot on Andre, truth.
    p.s. lekker catching on your own flies.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    lekker catching on your own flies.
    Ain't that the truth!

Tying your own flies also makes you think about what you're trying to imitate.
    It makes you learn the entomology of the waters and leads on to understanding retrieves. It's a very steep learning curve but a pleasant relaxation.

Just do it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2