Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bread fly for Mullet

Default Bread fly for Mullet

I'm going to De Mond this weekend and really want to catch one of those big mullet on my 4weight - my 2weight she is broken.

I've searched for a bread fly pattern but found very little. There was one old thread on bread flys for Carp.

Has anyone come up with a definitive bread fly for mullet in the last 3 years? As I understand it, you chum with white bread until the mullet appear then chuck a bread fly in amongst them.

I don't like the idea of chumming so I'll probably catch one by this method and then go back to "any colour you like as long as it's chartreuse"

Please can someone direct me to a white bread fly SBS or even a vague description of how to tie one.

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Brilliant. Thanks Mario. I'll make up something like that in #10, #14 & #16 and see which works.

If you can get hold of some duck mallard feather you can use that fine clumps of hair that usually come with it.All you do is simply put the clumps into a dumbing loop and wrap it aroun the hook to form like a oval shape.I used them in a brown colour and it really worked.

Hi mike......u can spin deer hair and just trim it to shape.would recommend anchovy oil or similar to put in the slick to attract them.......
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Hi Mike

I generally fish two bread patterns at the same time - one floater and one sinker.

The floating fly is simply spun white Deer Hair (the base of a white Bucktail works great and the colour is perfect). Leave it rough on top and trim the belly flush.

The sub surface pattern is tied with a bit of off white fleece. Simple stuff.....

Both are tied on size 8 hooks.

Enjoy the weekend
    MC

Default Dough

Hi Mike

Another easy way of tying a bread fly is to use kids dough- the kind that dries out when you don't seal it after use.

I found this out when my 3 year old was tearing off pieces of dried out yellow dough and throwing it into the bath.

I haven't seen chartreuse dought yet - pity. Perhaps we can colour the white dough is some way? Something to explore...

One can actually get quite creative with the dough. I'd be interested to know if someone else has used this material.

Ryno

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    2second fly

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Smile butter or marge?

What is that on top of the foam? Butter or marge? Peronally I will go for low fat marge. Better for the mullets healt. No seriuosly, is that high density foam (aka flipper) to give extra bouyancy? Niel

Niel I use flipper foam superglued onto of some spun polar plus works a dream for the floating crust
    For the soggy bread just spun polar plus on a hook is an awesome slow sinker

/d
    Last edited by damage; 20-03-11 at 06:16 PM.
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast