Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2-weight rod....

Default 2-weight rod....

Fly Rod Fanatics,

I broke the tip section of my beloved Stealth X-Treme SXR 7623 7'6" 3-piece 2-weight on the weekend - 1st rod I have ever broken (apart from the obligatory tip eyes ) in 15 years of fly fishing...

Anyway, rod is discontinued, and sections no longer available from Stealth, so if anyone knows of a tip section hiding somewhere, or has one going spare, give me a shout.

I also have the SXR 8033 8' 3-piece 3-weight, which is another awesome stick, so in thinking of replacing my 2-weight, I am thinking lighter....recently played with the Sage TXL-F 000-weight and the ZXL 2-weight, and Orvis Helios Ion 3-weight, but too deep for my pocket.

Anyone have any experience with the Stealth Deep Red 8'6" 5-piece 2-weight? I have the 4-weight - yet another very nice stick.

Cheers,
    Jan L. Korrūbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JanK View Post
    Fly Rod Fanatics,

I broke the tip section of my beloved Stealth X-Treme SXR 7623 7'6" 3-piece 2-weight on the weekend - 1st rod I have ever broken (apart from the obligatory tip eyes ) in 15 years of fly fishing...

Anyway, rod is discontinued, and sections no longer available from Stealth, so if anyone knows of a tip section hiding somewhere, or has one going spare, give me a shout.

I also have the SXR 8033 8' 3-piece 3-weight, which is another awesome stick, so in thinking of replacing my 2-weight, I am thinking lighter....recently played with the Sage TXL-F 000-weight and the ZXL 2-weight, and Orvis Helios Ion 3-weight, but too deep for my pocket.

Anyone have any experience with the Stealth Deep Red 8'6" 5-piece 2-weight? I have the 4-weight - yet another very nice stick.

Cheers,
    I have the TFO Finesse 2 weight - many will talk against it, but I love it! Its a noodle, I think its 7'6 but its an awesome little small stream tool. Good for tight spots, easy as hell to cast, and decently priced.

My 2c
    Check out some of my FF pics - http://www.flickr.com/photos/30562135@N07/

The new TFO BVK is a fantastic rod and casts really well too.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

My dad has a 2wt 5pc 8ft6 deep red. He loves it.
    I have fished it a couple of times and I must tell you it is worth more than its price. Its presentation is very accurate and very delicate. If you are looking for a rod for cape stream dry fly fishing, I think you can't do better. Its also a beautiful looking rod.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeDsantos View Post
    I have the TFO Finesse 2 weight - many will talk against it, but I love it! Its a noodle, I think its 7'6 but its an awesome little small stream tool. Good for tight spots, easy as hell to cast, and decently priced.

My 2c
    Thanks Jade.

I have seen the St Croix Legend Ultra 4-piece 2-weight, and that is also one little noodle...a friend has one and he doesn't like it much.

Another friend has the same SXR 7623 I have and she doesn't like it either...might just have to part it from her...
    Jan L. Korrūbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Quote Originally Posted by Williaby View Post
    The new TFO BVK is a fantastic rod and casts really well too.
    Thanks for the info - haven't seen TFO up here in Natal though.
    Jan L. Korrūbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Quote Originally Posted by dtayl13 View Post
    My dad has a 2wt 5pc 8ft6 deep red. He loves it.
    I have fished it a couple of times and I must tell you it is worth more than its price. Its presentation is very accurate and very delicate. If you are looking for a rod for cape stream dry fly fishing, I think you can't do better. Its also a beautiful looking rod.
    I do like my DR 4-weight I must say, so I am kinda swayed...
    Jan L. Korrūbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Fly Rod Fanatics,

Cheers,
    Oh ..this is sad. the SXR 7623 is a special little rod, and I was lucky enough to get a second one, a year or so back. Unfortunatly they are severely treasured by my two boys, so no chance of helping out with a tip just yet, but perhaps the tip can be repaired or replaced. A small spigot join might just give it a couple mor years. I have seen some of the work that Mario has done on repar jobs and if anyone can fix it, he can. Just a suggestion, as I don't know much about rod repairs but worth a try.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Oh ..this is sad. the SXR 7623 is a special little rod, and I was lucky enough to get a second one, a year or so back. Unfortunatly they are severely treasured by my two boys, so no chance of helping out with a tip just yet, but perhaps the tip can be repaired or replaced. A small spigot join might just give it a couple mor years. I have seen some of the work that Mario has done on repar jobs and if anyone can fix it, he can. Just a suggestion, as I don't know much about rod repairs but worth a try.
    Yes, really really sad...and a stupid mistake as well.

Thanks for the advice Andre, will be looking into a spigot fix. The break is clean, about 1-inch above the female ferrule, so there is space for a spigot join, with enough space for the male spigot from section 2 below.

<fingers crossed>
    Jan L. Korrūbel
    Nottingham Road Village

Yes, really really sad...and a stupid mistake as well.

Thanks for the advice Andre, will be looking into a spigot fix. The break is clean, about 1-inch above the female ferrule, so there is space for a spigot join, with enough space for the male spigot from section 2 below.

<fingers crossed>
    Hi Jan

I HAD a spare tip section on this rod, but I see it broke when I moved house last year!!
    Only noticed it now. My buddy had this rod, and it broke on the butt section. He didn't want the rod anymore, and I still wanted to fix it. But now I see the tip section broke too....
    Maybe it was a weak spot...weird to break like that in transit, and it was in a pvc tube for protection...but no rod sock.

So, I do have a spare MIDDLE section for you?

Mike

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast