Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: 2-weight rod....

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fly Fishing View Post
    Your comment is not completely true, agreed that a stolen or lost rod is not going to be replaced.

However, Sage will charge a small fee to replace a missing section, currently it is around $52.
    Yeah, but I did say "rod" not "section". I can't walk in and say "I lost my Z-Axis, please give me a new one". That's what I meant.

They have replaced a complete rod that was struck by lightning, under their warranty. This customer paid the princely sum of R50 for the shipping to and from Sage and received a brand new XP.
    But he gave the old rod in, right? So it's understandable.

My point is if your COMPLETE ROD is lost, stolen, or goes up in a fire...the rod warranty means nothing.

I will say this though...Sage has the best rod warranty as far as warranties are concerned. Many years ago I broke a Scott tip section...I waited 9 months for the replacement section. Since then, I insure all my stuff rather. The next time the section broke (on the spigot ferrule...AGAIN)...I handed the rod to my insurers and bought a different rod with the pay-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I will say this though...Sage has the best rod warranty as far as warranties are concerned. Many years ago I broke a Scott tip section...I waited 9 months for the replacement section. Since then, I insure all my stuff rather. The next time the section broke (on the spigot ferrule...AGAIN)...I handed the rod to my insurers and bought a different rod with the pay-out.
    Okay just out of interest, who/what dealt with your claim with regards to the Scott?

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    Okay just out of interest, who/what dealt with your claim with regards to the Scott?
    I dealt direct with the agents for Scott, Stealth Flyfishing.

Same thing happened to my mate's Scott, he waited 11 months I think.
    (But it's also why now, I will not buy a rod or blank that uses spigot ferrules. Both our rods broke in the exact same fashion).

I have a Stealth Xtreme 3 weight, and I love it. Paid R400 for the thing! I feel your pain Jan, and they are scarce as hen's teeth these days.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I dealt direct with the agents for Scott, Stealth Flyfishing.

Same thing happened to my mate's Scott, he waited 11 months I think.
    (But it's also why now, I will not buy a rod or blank that uses spigot ferrules. Both our rods broke in the exact same fashion).
    Stealth you say? You would have sorted it out quicker had you dealt with Scott directly. Rumor has it that the "issues" with warranties and claims have now been sorted and that Scott is going to make a come back in S.A. Apparently it is also going to be cheaper than they used to be.

Just hope that the damage that was done to the brand in the past will be something of the past.

I am looking at getting some Scott blanks, but I would rather deal with Scott themselves.

This is where I am going to stop, before I hear that I like to rip local suppliers/brands. But you my friend have confirmed another big issue I have with a certain brand/supplier.

Lets just say....Been there, done that, didn't even get a T-Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier Fly Fishing View Post
    This customer paid the princely sum of R50 for the shipping to and from Sage and received a brand new XP.
    R50 or $50? My dealings with Reddington have always been $50 for shipment.

But everytime I've had an issue I send them the old rod, and they send me a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    I have a Stealth Xtreme 3 weight, and I love it.
    Recently received this little rod as a gift, and it's a beaut yes!! You get some gems that don't cost top dollar, and then you get some real disasters. With top end rods (read expensive) you get far fewer disasters, better QA and mostly top of the line components and service. You end up getting what you pay for unfortunately. If I could afford it, I would buy just high-end rods. Reality is I can't, so I just wait until I can. It's a personal choice, and there are no rights and wrongs really.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    R50 or $50? My dealings with Reddington have always been $50 for shipment.

But everytime I've had an issue I send them the old rod, and they send me a new one.
    What does a Reddington cost new?

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    What does a Reddington cost new?
    R2750 these days I think.

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Recently received this little rod as a gift, and it's a beaut yes!! You get some gems that don't cost top dollar, and then you get some real disasters. With top end rods (read expensive) you get far fewer disasters, better QA and mostly top of the line components and service. You end up getting what you pay for unfortunately. If I could afford it, I would buy just high-end rods. Reality is I can't, so I just wait until I can. It's a personal choice, and there are no rights and wrongs really.
    My biggest challenge was to find a reel that was light enough to balance it, without spending R3k on a Sage click. The rod weighs just 56 grams! I ended up drilling an old click and pawl that I had lying around, and now it's an absolute pleasure to fish. Perfect balance.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast