Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most embarrassing Flyfishing moment!

Default Most embarrassing Flyfishing moment!

Guys lets dig deep and let out those secrets to the rest of the world. I know it may be hard to tell of your most embarrasing flyfishing moment but lets all just be brave and get it off our chests! Think this could be a really funny thread
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Um, I've punctured a rubber duck with a crazy charlie before...

Well embarrassing i don't know but funny. I was fishing with a friend on the Smalblaar. He advanced before me a few meters. I caught up with him as he started to cast. He didn't look i didn't look and as i stuck my head out behind a rock, wham, i heard that tippet snap as the fly penetrated my skull. Only after trying to get the thing out of my head I noticed he was not fishing barb less. Well few words rang trough that valley and it included my friends name. Well he was very hesitant to get close to me, thought I might try and drown him in the deepest and closest pool. The next 30 min was spent with a pair of players trying to get this fly out of my thick skull. It would not come out or go through my skin. With every failed attempt he would jump away a few meters just in case. Well rest of the day was fished with a nice colour full ( cant remember what fly ) fly sticking out of my head. The drive home was made with the fly still stuck in my head. Stopped at Stellenbosch Medi-Clinic where a doctor removed it for me. Another very good reason why we should be fishing barb less.

On my very first attempt at flyfishing with a hired rod I was flaying the water for about 20 minutes before I realised I had lost my fly on the grass behind me
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

hehe, could be a good one!

I was stillwater fishing for bass one day, and in the process of reaching out further and further with my cast, my rod suddenly became alive in my hands as I commenced my final forward cast. Next thing, my reel was screaming and turning around to face this unknown quarry that had attacked my fly on the backcast, I was greeted by a bucking and bronking cow. I had hooked her firmly in the arse, and needless to say, she was not happy about this! I was still playing her when Ron Flack-Davison shout out from the opposite bank, "What fly did you get her on, a 'Jersey Herd'!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
    Well embarrassing i don't know but funny. I was fishing with a friend on the Smalblaar. He advanced before me a few meters. I caught up with him as he started to cast. He didn't look i didn't look and as i stuck my head out behind a rock, wham, i heard that tippet snap as the fly penetrated my skull. Only after trying to get the thing out of my head I noticed he was not fishing barb less. Well few words rang trough that valley and it included my friends name. Well he was very hesitant to get close to me, thought I might try and drown him in the deepest and closest pool. The next 30 min was spent with a pair of players trying to get this fly out of my thick skull. It would not come out or go through my skin. With every failed attempt he would jump away a few meters just in case. Well rest of the day was fished with a nice colour full ( cant remember what fly ) fly sticking out of my head. The drive home was made with the fly still stuck in my head. Stopped at Stellenbosch Medi-Clinic where a doctor removed it for me. Another very good reason why we should be fishing barb less.

ha ha ha! Reminds me of another thing I did as a laaitie (think I was 14)- before I started fly fishing I was into spinning for leeries, skippies and elf in PE. We took a buddy of mine with on one ocassion to a productive spot. Only problem was that the sea was quite rough, so one would run out to the edge of this big rock, cast and run back about 5m and then retrieve your lure (I was using a beeeg chiselnose). Well, on one cast I ran forward and my buddy ran up behind me- without me knowing (my fault- didnt look)- and I tried to launch a massive cast out towards the horizon. All I remember was hearing a "crack" and then seeing a massive crows nest developing on my reel. Thinking I had caught the one rock behind me I looked around- only to see the chiselnose embedded into the base of my buddy's skull! With blood streaming and two of the three hooks on the treble firmly embedded we panicked! All I was worried about was what my dad was going to say when he arrived to pick us up! In the end myself and my two fishing buddies convinced him that we had to remove the chiselnose with pliers before my dad arrived. After trying unsucessfully to pull the trebles out, and with my buddy crying like a baby, we realised that we needed a doctor. So, we packed up and went walking into the closest suburb (Summerstrand), to the shopping mall and the local doctors rooms, my buddy with the chisel dangling from the base of his head...

In the end we got it removed, my dad gave me a serious talking to about the rules of casting (and it being my perogative to check behind me) and my buddy still speaks to me- although that was the first and last time he has ever gone fishing!

Well mine aint the funniest but definately embarrassing! On my recent and first trip onto the Western Cape streams i learnt a thing or too about striking! Lets just say that my striking was not up too scratch and i lost a fair amount of fish in the first half of the day untill i got told stories of how fellow flyfisherman have struck fish and it then became a lot easier! Not saying any names
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

My buddy Gary has this habit of using his mouth as a third hand, and one day he approached me saying "I think we have a problem here, so if you are going to laugh, laugh now and get it out of your system!". Looking up at him I saw the #6 wooly worm dangling from his lip, much like the stompie that you always see dangling from Andy Capp's lip. Thinking he was having me on, as he is so accoustomed to doing, I giggled and carried on doing what I was doing. "I really do have a problem here" came another slobbering reply. Looking up at him again, I noticed that his face had become two shades paler....and knew without a doubt that for once he was being serious. He had put the fly in his mouth while bending down and not realising that he was standing on his line, stood up, extending to his full length of 6 foot 3" in a second. The barbed fly drove itself firmly and deeply into his lip!

Well, firstly let me tell you, I have never laughed so much, and I hated myself for that, but I really could not help it. This was major payback time for all the times he had laughed at me.

Having said this, he earned my deepest respect that day by the extreme act of courage that he displayed after that. There were only two options, pack up the fishing and head for the nearest doctor 50km away, or........push the fly through his lip. The thought of that act drained the colour from my face and made nuts compress.

"Just give me a few minutes" he said, as he walked back to the car. With an outstretched lip with fly attached displayed in the rearview mirror, he did the act, pushing the fly all the way through, snipped the barb off and pulled the fly out the other way again!

Needless to say, I will go to war with Gary anyday

A couple of years ago I took a mate of mine fly fishing on a section of river up in the Swartberg area. The river flows into a fairly large stillwater, and is known for holding some big fish in the section where it starts to dam up just before it flows into the lake, and is pretty deep. We decided to start out the day fishing this section before moving upstream.

It was my mates second trip out and the first time he caught something, a good fish of around 4lbs. As he was standing on the river bank, holding the fish up for me to photograph, the fish suddenly began to struggle again. He lost his grip on it, and lurched forward in an instinctive grabbing motion at his escaping prize, only to lose his footing and go plunging head first into the river, at pretty much the same time I took the picture. The picture I have is of a big splash with 2 legs sticking out the water, in one of the most untidy, badly executed swallow-dives I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    My buddy Gary has this habit of using his mouth as a third hand, and one day he approached me saying "I think we have a problem here......
    10 out of 10 for telling that one Chris, had a good laugh over here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast