Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shark Flies

MC

I like what you have done here, but have you ever tried those plastic skirts they use on saltwater lures? Won't you get better life out of the skirts instead?

poor lurkys !!!!!

Koos ive used those skirts in some snoek flys but its not that great and it then looks like a feather trolling skirt

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Koos

I suppose we all draw lines in the sand. I won't use a rubber skirt as a fly. That's just me.

I have no problem with using chum to attract the fish but insist on a "proper" fly - it can imitate a cut bait but it must be tied with fly tying materials in a fly tying vice (and cast on a fly rod). I also don't care if it weighs twenty grams as long as it's tied in a vice with fly tying materials. I won't rig a sinker above the fly to get it down...... or scent a fly with chum.......so many variations and contradictions in there but it's just my way of thinking.

It's all about having fun and everybody must decide for themselves how they go about it.

I'll leave the Snoek Dollies and skirts for Denton.

Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Koos

I suppose we all draw lines in the sand. I won't use a rubber skirt as a fly. That's just me.

I have no problem with using chum to attract the fish but insist on a "proper" fly - it can imitate a cut bait but it must be tied with fly tying materials in a fly tying vice (and cast on a fly rod). I also don't care if it weighs twenty grams as long as it's tied in a vice with fly tying materials. I won't rig a sinker above the fly to get it down...... or scent a fly with chum.......so many variations and contradictions in there but it's just my way of thinking.

It's all about having fun and everybody must decide for themselves how they go about it.

I'll leave the Snoek Dollies and skirts for Denton.

Cheers
    MC
    Agreed, I was just wondering thats all.
    Thanx for sharing this fly though. And I am serious about getting some of those brush flies off you.

I have reformed from my snoek skirt days
    And am as MC says a semi purist

I draw the line at you making it vs pre -made
    Meaning if I did want a rubber skirt the only way I could use it inside my definition of a fly is to make the skirt myself with silicone and wax Paper
    /d

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    I have reformed from my snoek skirt days
    And am as MC says a semi purist

I draw the line at you making it vs pre -made
    Meaning if I did want a rubber skirt the only way I could use it inside my definition of a fly is to make the skirt myself with silicone and wax Paper
    /d
    I agree, but is it really necessary to re-invent the wheel with time and everything else standing still in the Cape? Or is it a case of sili legs or rubber legs not being available yet in the Cape?

I'm sure it's not really necesary :0)

But neither is tying feathers to a hook when a chunk of sardine is easier and works waaaasy better

/d

Quote Originally Posted by damage View Post
    I'm sure it's not really necesary :0)

But neither is tying feathers to a hook when a chunk of sardine is easier and works waaaasy better

/d

I need to get down to the Cape. I have some people that wants me to come fish the Streams with them, but I would love to get down there and to fish with you out on the sea.

Off the topic here......Weren't you supposed to have come up here some time ago? Wasn't there talk about getting a beer and talking about a name for your boat? What, why, how come did we never get round to that?

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    I also don't care if it weighs twenty grams as long as it's tied in a vice with fly tying materials.MC

Hahahahaha, snorted my coffee when I read that....

Awesome flies MC.... all this chatter is definetly tempting me to get my vice out again...
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Koos my boat is named " double haul " and still doesnt have it on the hull or any decals
    Im in jhb as often as I need to be buy try not spent too much unnecary time in the big smoke

If/when You get to Cpt Ill gladly take you for an off shore arm stretch :0)

Neps we tying at my place on thurs dust the vice off and pull in you need to tie some crabs

/d

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast