Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fly fishing for tiger in the Vic Falls area

I'm only going to have a day at Vic Falls to fish, so some of the other options mentioned are logistically not practical.

I know Sundowner Adventures does a daytrip but looks quite expensive and don't know much about them. Anyone done a daytrip with them?

The other option is to just check with 1 of the lodges at Vic Falls and see if there are some local operators?

Quote Originally Posted by sprat View Post
    I'm only going to have a day at Vic Falls to fish, so some of the other options mentioned are logistically not practical.

I know Sundowner Adventures does a daytrip but looks quite expensive and don't know much about them. Anyone done a daytrip with them?

The other option is to just check with 1 of the lodges at Vic Falls and see if there are some local operators?
    If you can get back to Kasane, you would be able to do tiger fishing from a boat, at the Chobe Zambezi confluence. I cant remember the price, but it wans't too expensive last time I did it about 2 ears ago. You only problem would be your time lost comming through the border.
    How much are they charging you at Vic Falls?
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Booger Rose Banned User

We used to fish a bit above the falls on the Zambia side. If you think there are not big crocs , you are wrong - they there right alongside some big hippos! We were young and stupid but took a fair amount of tigers in the rapids. Fast adventure fishing would be the best description.

My recommendation would be to get the nearest tour operator that run a decent fishing set-up and if it cost a bit more than the one further away - pay them. Reason being that one day is not a lot of time, try to spent as much time as possible on the water.

Anybody fished the rapids below the falls? Now there is some awesome water...

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    We used to fish a bit above the falls on the Zambia side. If you think there are not big crocs , you are wrong - they there right alongside some big hippos! We were young and stupid but took a fair amount of tigers in the rapids. Fast adventure fishing would be the best description.

Anybody fished the rapids below the falls? Now there is some awesome water...
    You are probably right with the crocs and Hippos. I also fished the Zambia side did not see any hippos or big crocs whilst fishing, but they tend to stay hidden though. There were a lot of local children swiming in the pools between the rapids and they said they never see any big crocs, the theory is that the big ones gets washed down the falls. I tend to agree with you that there must be big crocs around, but I had a great time fishing the rapids and still have all my arms and legs.

I will be in Zambia next week for 4 days and might be able to go down to the Zambezi, I will see what i can find out with regard to oppeerators in the area. To use a guide or lodge to organize your daytrip would certainly be the safer option. Will keep you updated in this regard.

Below the falls? as in down the high gorge, no thanks, will raft down, but fishingwise duno if you will have any success, except if you are into extreme fishing from rafts, you can trail your fly whilst going down a grade 5 rapid and have it on camera! We should give Johny Knoxville this tip for jack Ass 3.

Booger Rose Banned User

Rafts go down to rapid 20 something, there are still a lot of water down from there. I was lucky enough to know someone with a helicopter, fly down the gorge, look for a nice spot for some fishing and a picnic. I've fished a bit in the rapids where you get out of the gorge on the Zambian side after a day of rafting and where the jetboat used to (maybe still do) operate.

If you haven't been there yet, make a plan. There are some of the most beautiful spots on the planet in that area!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Rafts go down to rapid 20 something, there are still a lot of water down from there. I was lucky enough to know someone with a helicopter, fly down the gorge, look for a nice spot for some fishing and a picnic. I've fished a bit in the rapids where you get out of the gorge on the Zambian side after a day of rafting and where the jetboat used to (maybe still do) operate.

If you haven't been there yet, make a plan. There are some of the most beautiful spots on the planet in that area!!!
    I figured you were refering to spots a bit further downstream. I only did the rafting thing, and have to agree it is realy beautifull down there. Your helicopter trip sounds great, that should have been an experience!

Any update after your trip Chris?

Quote Originally Posted by sprat View Post
    Any update after your trip Chris?
    I drove to the lower Zambezi from Lusaka and only fished there, did not have time to get down to Livingstone. I think you will be able to get a good deal on a daytrip from one of the lodges. The easiest way would be to check things out when you arive there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2