Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cape Town Rangers Assault fisherman at Zandvlei

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzLiteBeer View Post
    So what really happened??
    I heard from one of the crime watch managers, who recieved a complaint of disruptive behaviour from a member of the public, of fisherman on the bridge, which is a pedestrian walkway.
    (bear in mind that the "no fishing " sign is constantly vandalised and removed)
    Anyway, on investigating, they asked the guys to move, they did not, (claiming a constitutional right to fish anywhere they like...) so a call was put into the rangers. The rangers reacted to the call, and everyone except one guy moved off the bridge willingly and fished from the bank. The one guy apparently became abusive and began using his rod as a "fighting stick" thus breaking it. The rangers were forced to phsically manhandle the guy off the bridge.... the cops were also involved at one stage, but I don't know when this happenned. Anyway, it looks like another case of very poor and irresponsible newspaper reporting, looking for any sensationalism in an effort to discredit the authorities.
    I just wsh that the storyy would be evaluated from both sides, and reported objectively before going to print. It creates the wrong impression.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I heard from one of the crime watch managers, who recieved a complaint of disruptive behaviour from a member of the public, of fisherman on the bridge, which is a pedestrian walkway.
    (bear in mind that the "no fishing " sign is constantly vandalised and removed)
    Anyway, on investigating, they asked the guys to move, they did not, (claiming a constitutional right to fish anywhere they like...) so a call was put into the rangers. The rangers reacted to the call, and everyone except one guy moved off the bridge willingly and fished from the bank. The one guy apparently became abusive and began using his rod as a "fighting stick" thus breaking it. The rangers were forced to phsically manhandle the guy off the bridge.... the cops were also involved at one stage, but I don't know when this happenned. Anyway, it looks like another case of very poor and irresponsible newspaper reporting, looking for any sensationalism in an effort to discredit the authorities.
    I just wsh that the storyy would be evaluated from both sides, and reported objectively before going to print. It creates the wrong impression.
    Thanx Andre. I thought as much.
    So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

FlyFanatic Banned User

eish after that incident on the news the other night everyone wants to blame the police/law enforcing officials..

If they werent so grossly underpaid and overworked, they wouldnt have snapped and beaten the poor guy to death. Just proves, we are after all just pack animals. When the frenzy started all joined in and it got out of hand. Just a pity the poor oke had to pay with his life, and the Police reputation has gone out the door..

Gonna make it VERY difficult for any officer of the law to get respect now.

The right impression doesn't sell newspapers!
    Peter

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going - Jim Ryun

Let's keep it real..

Quote Originally Posted by Buf Aloe View Post
    The right impression doesn't sell newspapers!
    The Echo and other community papers are free to the community anyway, so I don't see why that would have been the motivation.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

There are always 3 sides to a story, theirs, yours and the truth. . . .
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

The Echo and other community papers are free to the community anyway, so I don't see why that would have been the motivation.
    It is still "a good news worthy story" that will make the people read the news paper, thus creating eyes, for the advertisers.
    that is where the local news papers make their money.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2