Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Silver Hill in Kamberg to the Khubelo in Lesotho!

Default From Silver Hill in Kamberg to the Khubelo in Lesotho!

Hi everyone,

The trip which has taken so long to try and arrange is finally around the corner! As from the 22nd April till the 2nd May i'll will be making my way into the Kamberg area, the lodge called Silver Hill, for 5 days .....and then for the next 6 days off over Sani Pass to Lesotho .... where we gonna tackle with those big TROTTOLINI...(trout)!! on the Khubelo river.

The Silver hill Lodge has about 4-5 km of the little mooi on the farm and some dams i believe.

I must say i have already had a good chat with Andre here from flytalk and he's given me a lot of info pertaining to both venues! (tyvm)....

I would really like any advice or opinion that anyone has pertaining to the fishing i'm going to be doing for the 10 days or so... eg. leaders .... tippet ...

am i going to need yarn or strike indicators ?

should i take a sinking line with ... or is that not needed ?

ive never fished the little mooi so its going to a nice learning curve!

as for Lesotho, well there I know even less ... but i think the river should be a little bigger than the Little mooi....

So guys any help would be greatly appreciated ......even if you think it might be of the smallest help!

thanks in advance

Gusty

Silver hill has pretty easy fishing in the dams.The bottom dam is rather deap and i did very well with a sinking line.For the rest i fished my 4wt and a 5x leader.If you get the chance there is a dam about a 15min hike up the mountain.I was broken off twice by something large.If you can ,take a float tube with,it will be worth it.There is also a small stream running through the propertymnot sure whats its name,but I managed 2 nice bows their,especially the stretch just below the owners private house.I would also go to riverside lodge a few kms away,they have what is rrated the best stretch of mooi river.Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by core fly View Post
    Silver hill has pretty easy fishing in the dams.The bottom dam is rather deap and i did very well with a sinking line.For the rest i fished my 4wt and a 5x leader.If you get the chance there is a dam about a 15min hike up the mountain.I was broken off twice by something large.If you can ,take a float tube with,it will be worth it.There is also a small stream running through the propertymnot sure whats its name,but I managed 2 nice bows their,especially the stretch just below the owners private house.I would also go to riverside lodge a few kms away,they have what is rrated the best stretch of mooi river.Enjoy
    Thanks Core...... much appreciated, wil take note!

How accesible is the river on the property ? (i think its the little mooi)

thanks for the info.

regards

Gusty

Enjoy Lesotho
    There is plenty info on the site about the Lesotho area.

You will need nymphs in Lesotho.
    General dry fly action is scare, from my experience.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    General dry fly action is scare, from my experience.
    Because we fished those tiny little flies we fish in SA. Chernobyl Ants, Amy's Ants, Club Sandwiches, Stimulators in #8 LS or so bring the fish up
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

he he ...... thanks korrie ...... i know you're being honest about the nymphs .... but nymphing ..... suggested by you ...... lol .......

i must say you're by far the biggest nymph fan ive ever seen!!! by far ...... and im not saying its a bad thing at all...... more than likely the most effective method of fishing ....... well most of the time!

thanks for you input!

regards!

Thanks Mario.....

regards

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ago View Post
    Thanks Mario.....
    No problem - where in Lesotho are you going? It's pretty cold up there already, so make sure you take some warm clothing.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

If it is the little mooi im not sure.There are some nice pools but in general not the best river in that area.Its worth the effort though.

Not very accesible either.I did the section from the lodge to the main house.Hope yopu can do some "trick"casting.Their are plenty of trees ,bushes and grass all around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast