Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Wood grips - pro's and cons ...

Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    Mario I do think your Wild Olive with a bit of a Reddish wood in the centre would make a beautiful Handle.
    Wild Olive and Besembos?? Sounds like a plan - but for the execution I'll send the wood to you
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Couple of questions

a) The african sun fattik@kki. Wouldn't wood handles crack over time if exposed for long periods in the african sun?

b) Is there a way to bore out the wood handle and fill it with cork?

c) For Korrie nymphing specifically. As wood is a solid material and cork a little bit more alive, would you feel the river flow/current, flies on the bottom, takes etc. better on a rod with wooden handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    Just noticed this thread, been a bit busy with work lately.
    If you use the right finish you will find that the handle in fact becomes a little tacky
    rather than slippery, straight Polyurethane varnish is not the right thing to use.

I use a mix of Poly varnish & Tung Oil & never have any slippage problems.

As to flex, the biggest fish I have landed on my 9ft 5wt was an 18lbs Rainbow Trout without any problems.
    On my 9ft 3wt I landed a 7lb Rainbow Trout on it's first outing again no problems what so ever.

How to Christen a 3wt with a wooden Handle - 7lb Rainbow!!!

Mario I do think your Wild Olive with a bit of a Reddish wood in the centre would make a beautiful Handle.

I am just about to build a 6wt Sea Trout Rod with a Full Wells wooden handle & a wooden Fighting Butt.

Alex
    Hi Alex..

What wood did you use in your grip? Does it not feel a little heavy in the hand and perhaps not a bit slippery. I like to incorporate other materials such as wood and bamboo etc.. But like the feel of cork.

Keen to hear your thoughts!

Ryan
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Ricko
    I agree with the flex.
    But for trout etc, how many times will the rod flex right into the handle?
    Just on a side note relating to this:
    My CTS #0 has flexed soo much on a few fish that one of the cork rings near the top of the grip cracked in the center of the ring. Its not a fault in the ring either.
    If I'd had a grip on there that didnt fllex I can guarantee that rod would have popped mid grip...
    Even though I do very much like a good bit of burl wherever I can put it
    Last edited by markdej; 30-09-11 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Couple of questions

a) The african sun fattik@kki. Wouldn't wood handles crack over time if exposed for long periods in the african sun?

b) Is there a way to bore out the wood handle and fill it with cork?

c) For Korrie nymphing specifically. As wood is a solid material and cork a little bit more alive, would you feel the river flow/current, flies on the bottom, takes etc. better on a rod with wooden handle.
    Think about it, how much direct sunlight does a fly rod actually endure in it's lifetime? Not much, all things being relative. Most times it's stowed away in a rod bag and rod tube. When it's fished, it takes sunlight for a few hours (not even direct most times) and then stowed away again. Also, the wood must be treated now and then, with some wax or polish. No worries.

Answer to question "b"...yes there is...bore out the wood with a drill bit, mount the cork onto the rod, sand it down to the same diameter as the hole in the grip (okay 0,001" smaller, to the pedantics), slip it on and glue in place. Will save you a few grams.

Thanks for feedback.. looks lakka!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Another interesting grip
    Faux Birch
    http://mhackney.zenfolio.com/img/v4/p993150459-3.jpg
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Korrie Broos

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast