Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: DIY Turbo Dubbing Brush Maker

Lekke Bryan; my DIY project has taken over, I am hardly getting time to tie flies

To date I have an old 18V portable drill motor incl. the planetary gearbox going on a motor control circuit; works well and reasonable control, but bulky. The 1st sewing machine / foot control setup is just too fast and powerful and will be stored for future use; I also got a stepper motor [like the stuff in printers] and a colleague built a control circuit for it - speed control is amazing, but slow at max speed.

But, alas, I have found the precious and busy with last conversions - MINI SEWING MACHINE motors + gears [if so required]; it runs from 6V [4x AA battery pack], the torque is amazing and with a 0-6V supply to control the speed anything from 0 - $%# fast can be achieved... I won 1 cheap cheap on BoB.

O Ja, another colleague is busy machining my manual fly-wheel control setup, as Andre's replies have motivated and convinced me that a manual dubbing brush block for smaller brushes would be ideal.

So it seems I am going to end up with 2 or 3 working models for different applications; and a few demo models and different motors and controllers...

I think my brushes have improved a lot, left hand [black] brush is the latest.

Barend, would a re-chargeble screwdriver work here as a motor????

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Barend, would a re-chargeble screwdriver work here as a motor????

Dave
    Dave, yes, especially the 12V DC or 18V DC rechargeable portable drill or screwdriver type; I have also played with some of the handheld, palm sized screwdrivers, most are around 2.4V DC and rated at 180rpm; the torque is 100% but they also seemed 'slow' at max speed.

But if you have 1 lying around it can definitely be used.

Quote Originally Posted by troutmaster View Post
    Dave, yes, especially the 12V DC or 18V DC rechargeable portable drill or screwdriver type; I have also played with some of the handheld, palm sized screwdrivers, most are around 2.4V DC and rated at 180rpm; the torque is 100% but they also seemed 'slow' at max speed.

But if you have 1 lying around it can definitely be used.
    Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

DAVE
    Pleasure.

Dave, the best speed control thus far, by far, is my old Bosch PSR1200 [replaced by the now PSR12] 12V cordless drill / screwdriver; the battery is so old it only works 30 min. or so if taken directly off the charger after being charged a day or so. It is rated 0-700rpm and the trigger speed-control is VERY sensitive. Presently all my brushes are being done this way. I am still consider using this as the long-term solution on the previously mentioned large build for LM / SW brushes.

New battery for my Bosch is R420, OR, you can just mount any 12V battery [e.g. electric gate motor or alarm battery (R80 for 7Ah battery)] underneath it, it lasts and lasts and lasts, just charge with your car battery charger. I have a 4Amp charger and just charge the battery for 2 hours.

I am also using the same 12V alarm battery with a lighter adaptor as the car-charger fitting for the kid's Sinotec DVD players since those batteries have died [new batteries are R220 and out of stock].

Awesome what these 12V batteries can be used for once you start getting into retrofitting.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4