Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Magoebaskloof

Default Magoebaskloof

Hi all

I'm thinking of visiting magoebaskloof/haenertsburg area in June or August for the one of the long weekends.

To those that have fished the area where would you recommend?

Do you think the fishing will be ok in those months? Will the cold be a little too much then? (definitely feels like it's going to be a proper winter this year!)

Any info and guidance will be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Mike

The rivers in that area are awesome, but not easy fishing. I was there a few years back specifically to target the browns in the rivers, and although we caught, it was tough going! Not sure why, but the fish were super weary. Maybe times have changed...also, at the time there was a massive veld fire that ripped through the area, don't know if that had an impact.
    So all in all, worth a trip. Just check, don't know if the rivers are closed in that period, but I doubt it.

Mike

I'll check it out! Thanks!

Contact the Haneartsburg Trout Association (HTA)
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Looks like pretty much everything has to be booked through a member. Very little to be done as guest. (Sadly don't know any members personally)

I'll try the mountain flyfishing venue there and see if i get a response.

Thanks for the pointer

I fished HTA waters a few months back - very lekker but swamped with bass.

If they are booked you can try the joint that does the canopy tours. They can guide you on the letaba but not sure if it is any good.
    http://www.magoebaskloofcanopytour.c...opy_Tours.html

just read your post properly ... to book with them (i am also not a member) I just spoke with the lady at the bottlestore - fill out a form and ask very nicely for the oar keys, R100 and you on your way.

If you a bit of a bar fly the people at the Iron Crown will gladly set you up - really the friendliest place i have come across.

I fished this area often many years ago and back then there were some good options which seem to still be available in some shape or form.

Ebenezer Dam has (had ?) excellent bass fishing and I even caught a smallmouth bass of 2.1kg in there. A further fish was hooked while my lure was suspended 15cm above the water from a tree branch.

Also fished a dam in the area for trout called Dap Naude Dam which had some good fly fishing.

Then if you drive along the R71 from Haenertsburg towards Tzaneen you will see signs for Cheerio where there is fly fishing for trout available.

Further along the R71 on the left you will see Lakeside and on the right is Stanford Lake both run by the Haenertsburg Trout Association (HTA). Stanford Lake was on private property back then and owned by family of a friend of mine.

Two other options are Cair Paravel and Stanford Lake Lodge

You can get all the details for the HTA here and if you are staying in the area the place you are staying will more than likely be able to book HTA waters for you.

There is even some wild trout to be had and if you can get access, Dodingtons Weir is a superb spot to spend a day trying to tempt a trout.

It is a beautiful part of the country and thinking back on all these places has made me lus to return.
    Bryan Williams

“My Biggest worry is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it!”

Check out my albums

Thanks for all the intel guys! I'll get in touch with the various places and see whats happening.

I'm taking some friends who are seriously new to the art. took them to brookwood for a first lesson. So I need to try choose somewhere that caters for all. I don't mind sneaking out in the AM while they sleep off the babalas

Hi,
    I'm reviving this thread because I'm going to Magoebaskloof Getaway in a couple of weeks and can't find anything on the forum about the place. There is a trout dam and a dam with bass. Would appreciate it if anyone have been there before and can give me some info on the trout fishing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast