Thread: The bug has bitten

Default The bug has bitten

Hi everybody

I just returned from a trip to the Drakensberg where I had my very first fly fishing experience. I usually go their with my family but I thought it would be interesting to add fly fishing to the list of activities since I started doing carp fishing last year and found it to be a very rewarding experience. I tried do as much research about fly and trout fishing before the trip and immediately fell in love with just how technical the sport is. I had the good fortune of staying next to a very experienced fly fisher who took me out to fish one afternoon and learnt a hell of a lot in a short time. Even though I didn't catch anything it was still an awesome experience. The guy that took my out on the river said I have a pretty good cast for a beginner so I'm really excited about acquiring the necessary knowledge and skills to actually catch something.

I live in Stellenbosch and I'm very keen to get more experience and go out with experienced fly fishers in the area to learn more.

To start with, I have a few questions:
    1. Who offers casting and general fly fishing lessons?
    2. What fly fishing shops do you recommend?
    3. What would be a good starter kit for trout and bass fishing? Or should I invest in proper equipment from the start?

I have searched the forums already and continue to read past threads. I got partial answers but would appreciate more specific answers to these questions since all the information is really overwhelming for a newcomer to the sport.

Thanks for any answers!

Howdy welcome to the addiction
    Enjoy the ride and learning curve
    The closest best place for the advice and goodies you are after is at flytalk eikendal on the r44 to sommerset west

Tight lines

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Welcome to the forum.I think a good 5/6 wt starter combo will be perfect for stillwater trout/bass.I would suggest to find something you like thats not too expensive to start with just to get into the sport.When you are 100% sure its something you will do for many years too come then go out and buy the best you can afford.Stealth and explorer offer really nice starter kits.maybe give 1 or 2 rods a swing to see which one you like the feel of.Enjoy every minute.

As for flyshops,I would say try streamx or upstream aswell.They are both in Capetown.I think it is very crucial that you learn to flycast properly,because like golf,if you learn the bad habits its hard to get rid of them.

Welcome man, best bet get hold of Korrie/ DLambert/ GKieser/ etc. Rols (teach you to drink)

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Thanks for all the helpful replies, much appreciated.

I went to the fly fishing shop at Eikendal today and the guys there were extremely helpful and very knowledgeable. Conveniently they offer casting lessons as well. I ended up spending a little bit more than most beginners would but I'm pretty sure that I will be doing this for years to come. I bought a 6 wt Echo Solo rod and a Xplorer STX reel. I took it for a spin on the dam in Welgevonden Estate where I live and caught my first small bass with it - what fun!

Quote Originally Posted by rochecompaan View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful replies, much appreciated.

I went to the fly fishing shop at Eikendal today and the guys there were extremely helpful and very knowledgeable. Conveniently they offer casting lessons as well. I ended up spending a little bit more than most beginners would but I'm pretty sure that I will be doing this for years to come. I bought a 6 wt Echo Solo rod and a Xplorer STX reel. I took it for a spin on the dam in Welgevonden Estate where I live and caught my first small bass with it - what fun!
    Good on you Roche, dont give up the bass because winter is getting here, may be a bit slow, but big bass deep and slow with big fly works great. Let us know how you do. Any questions, just ask.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

First and foremost, WELCOME to the forums, and secondly to an addiction.

Don't be shy, use the search function and above all ask questions and give feedback on your endeavours.

This forum's members have been very instrumental in my becoming a f/f fanatic, a scrappy flytier ( I swore I would never tie a fly ), plus I have fished with more people than I can remember, some of whom have become VERY good ( reprobate ) friends.

Participation is the key.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

You won't go wrong with the echo
    I love mine .
    Have fun post pics

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG