Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 8/0 Mega Clousers and the first Flashy Profiles

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Igfafly

What's your real name? It's weird calling somebody "Igfafly".

MC
    MC - If igfafly is the angler, his name is Steve Baler ( Welcome Steve) and here is a little more info on the capture ( apologies for plagarising Steve!! )

"After 4 years of trying and getting smashed we have finally had the 10kg tippet world record mako ratified – 101.7kg / 223.74lb, fishing from my 28 Bertram “Fly by Night”. Fly was FPF tube fly, standard for our makos and marlin on fly.

This was fish number 13. We have had on anything from 140kg – 280 kg over that period for fight times of anywhere from a minute to a few 3 – 4 hour slugfests. Throughout that time our TFO’s held up well – credit must go to Jim Shulin for the support he has given us, and to my patient crew who in the end persuaded me to persevere after popping off the 4 fish prior to this one on the one weekend – all record size !!!!"

Incredible fish mate, my congrats!!! And the fish was eaten, so who gives a toss!!!

Bunny hugging is all fine and good guys, but lets be realistic.... if we caught and released EVERY fish we caught, fishing would amount to nothing more than torture of an innocent creature for our own pleasure.....

Having caught a fair few mako's on conventional tackle, none near that size, and certainly on heavier class lines than 10kg tippet, seeing that catch makes one realise even more what an incredible fish it is... ( yes I said fish not shark, anyone whose caught a mako can attest to the fact they fight like fish, not sharks!!! )

My congrats!
    *** TO RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND SPEAK THE TRUTH ***

Some people are like Slinkies.... Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post
    MC - If igfafly is the angler, his name is Steve Baler ( Welcome Steve) and here is a little more info on the capture ( apologies for plagarising Steve!! )

"After 4 years of trying and getting smashed we have finally had the 10kg tippet world record mako ratified – 101.7kg / 223.74lb, fishing from my 28 Bertram “Fly by Night”. Fly was FPF tube fly, standard for our makos and marlin on fly.

This was fish number 13. We have had on anything from 140kg – 280 kg over that period for fight times of anywhere from a minute to a few 3 – 4 hour slugfests. Throughout that time our TFO’s held up well – credit must go to Jim Shulin for the support he has given us, and to my patient crew who in the end persuaded me to persevere after popping off the 4 fish prior to this one on the one weekend – all record size !!!!"

Incredible fish mate, my congrats!!! And the fish was eaten, so who gives a toss!!!

Bunny hugging is all fine and good guys, but lets be realistic.... if we caught and released EVERY fish we caught, fishing would amount to nothing more than torture of an innocent creature for our own pleasure.....

Having caught a fair few mako's on conventional tackle, none near that size, and certainly on heavier class lines than 10kg tippet, seeing that catch makes one realise even more what an incredible fish it is... ( yes I said fish not shark, anyone whose caught a mako can attest to the fact they fight like fish, not sharks!!! )

My congrats!
    Well said Neps, I couldn't have said it better. I am certainly not one of the guys that will kill fish for no reason in fact 90% of fish a catch gets returned, but there is nothing wrong with keeping the odd fish, be it one for the record books or for the pot (and this one was for both). Any angler that have ever caught a Mako will know how incredible this record is!

All I can ad is CONGRATULATIONS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nepptune View Post

My congrats!
    A client of mine fished the O.E.T. last year at Sodwana and they were trolling about a 1000 meters out. He hooked into the fish of a lifetime and thought to himself that they should fight this fish slowly. After hook-up the fish jumped in the distance and he knew that they were going home with that boat as prize seeing that they picked up a big Marlin. This fish took line like crazy and the tell tale signs were there. He fought that thing for 3 hours on 80lb trolling setup with a reel that was beginning to fall apart and as the fish came up close to the boat it was a.........Wait for it............A 4 meter Mako.

In short he was the x@%#* in!!!!

Guilty as charged - no worries for the cut and paste.

Just off a very good summer run of marlin, again nothing weighed, most done on conventional and light tackle, lost a couple on fly - for the uber-bunny-huggers - sorry guys, anything on fly that looks near Tom Evans' mark is getting weighed....and smoked and eaten....but we are a way off that now with the run coming to an end.

I herald from East London and Durban but now based in Sydney. We have had a right old tussle with the makos over the years with either myself or a mate on the rod....winter is really good for them off a few spots we know so can't wait to get into it again.

We have been connected to fish between 140kg and 280kg for up to nearly 4 hours....problem is finding them small enough - we get such good fish here...on the weekend we got this one we popped off another 3 or 4 records, now that is good fishing !!!

Now for the 8kg - not going to be easy and it may be a long while between pics !

Cheers guys

Hey MCC do you weight those flies at all - the big tandem tubes I am talking about ? It pays to sometimes.

Hi Steve

Here is a picture of a tube double (8/0 & 6/0). Yes, I do put weight into them.

You can't see the weight but it's basically a very large worm weight which is shaped to be belly heavy and then glued onto the tube before the actual fly is tied around it.

Cheers
    MC

ooh the sharks are going to love that pink fly !!!!!
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

here's one for the bunny huggers who *****ed about me killing one fish in 5 years....enjoy !

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...=ILCNETTXT3486

MC, nice flies as usual.

Hey what are you using for tubes? I want to bulk buy some tubes and the idea of scrounging around for used Bic pens isn't very appealing.

Jonno

I use sucker sticks - just get missus and kids to eat more of them when needed - they never fail to produce

or scrounge the beqches for them - they get washed down the drains en masse and after washing down and nbaking in sun are clean as

Steve

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast