Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kob on fly,any tips from the experts?

Default Kob on fly,any tips from the experts?

Hi Guys,

I have been chasing Kob for a few weeks now here on Lake St.Lucia, North Coast of Kzn and i really want one on fly. But even when i see them chase and feed actively on the surface i end up with not so much as a nibble.

I know some guys have had great success on the cape coastline and i was wondering if any of you could share some insight on how to target them (flies, retrieves, etc..).

Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks
    Last edited by Ko7Ad; 07-05-11 at 02:01 PM.

HI Konrad,
    Most of the cob I have caught all fell to the white whisler on intermediate with a steady 1foot retreive. Hope this helps.

p.s. elf (shad) also love this fly.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Hi Konrad,

most guys will tell you to use anything that pushes a lot of water and makes a lot of noise.. White is probably best as far as color is concerned. Something like dave suggested... either a whistler or try tying a popping head in front of a leftys deceiver and fish it on a heavy line to get it sub surface. It will also give it the wounded baitfish action.

That said, most of the big cob that have been taken have been caught on prawn flies. If I had to pick a fly I'd use a JAM avalon or maybe something like an enrico puglisi spawning shrimp tied avalon style with 3 or 4 tungsten beads. like this:

Its small enough for a grunter to take it but big enough to get a Cobs attentions or flashy enough for a Kingy to have a go.

Mr Swannel got that massive fish on a little grunter charlie and Ed Truter gets them on prawn flies too sometimes even under indicators at night.

Id still like to target them in the Breede. Big flies stripped slow 4 or 5m sub surface. So far ive only got fingerlings as by catch looking for Grunter (on prawn flies)

Last edited by petercoetzee; 08-05-11 at 10:44 AM.
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

the yanks catch white seabass which are same family off california (Baja peninsula). They use big pure white leftys deceivers to imitate squid.

(see images).
    "If you dont have almost unlimited patience, forget about becoming an accomplished saltwater fly angler" Jack Samson

hope this helps! good luck and post pics of your successes

Thanks for the help!! really need it, today another Kob-less day on the water

Will start tying some whistlers and jam flies this week, hopefully the weather plays along next weekend!!

Will keep you all posted!

Quote Originally Posted by petercoetzee View Post
    Hi Konrad,

most guys will tell you to use anything that pushes a lot of water and makes a lot of noise.. White is probably best as far as color is concerned. Something like dave suggested... either a whistler or try tying a popping head in front of a leftys deceiver and fish it on a heavy line to get it sub surface. It will also give it the wounded baitfish action.

That said, most of the big cob that have been taken have been caught on prawn flies. If I had to pick a fly I'd use a JAM avalon or maybe something like an enrico puglisi spawning shrimp tied avalon style with 3 or 4 tungsten beads. like this:

Its small enough for a grunter to take it but big enough to get a Cobs attentions or flashy enough for a Kingy to have a go.

Mr Swannel got that massive fish on a little grunter charlie and Ed Truter gets them on prawn flies too sometimes even under indicators at night.

Id still like to target them in the Breede. Big flies stripped slow 4 or 5m sub surface. So far ive only got fingerlings as by catch looking for Grunter (on prawn flies)

Nice info there.. I'm really interested in trying that tactic Ed Truter uses for grunter... indicator!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Is that silicone you using on the back of your prawns/shrimps? look decent..
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

silicon and polar fibre. dont use marine silicon it doesnt work well. I use the bathroom one (clear)

Many secrets to these awesome sport fish.

From what I have learned from guys who consistently catch large Kob (we call them Jewfish), here in Oz is that they target them at night under bridge lights.

This one was 24kg caught on a 10wt using an intermediate line and 6/0 flashy profile fly. The guy was fishing alone and the Police arrived to ask him what he was doing so late all on his own in the boat and they watched him land the fish and even agreed to take the photo for him. Cool story for an awesome capture.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast