Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shackletons - Upper Zambezi

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    Did you say Green with envy Herman?

Well the only decent things i caught were green:

Both weighed 3kgs and gave massive fights! They made my trip big time! The double digit Zambezi tiger stil eludes me though, so i shall have to go back for that guy!
    Is that a Canterbury Kurper? Nicely done!
    Gerrit Viljoen

Hi guys.

There is 1x space open for a weekend trip to Shackletons(Zambezi). 28 June - 1 July! If you want to get some awesome tigers and 5 star accommodation! Please Please urgent...trip been paid but 1 person cancelled. so will lose the money if nobody goes...

call me: 084 six04 388zero !!

Think its +-R6200 (exlc air ticket)

Has anyone fished shackletons recently? I have a trip planned up there towards the end of August and would appreciate any advise provided. I will be staying there for a week, and will be fishing first time for tigers on fly. I am very interested in recommended fly patterns, colours, i will be fishing my 9wt rod, advise on lines to take with? and also any advise regarding the accommodation, any essentials that should be taken with?

Thanks for the help.

Guido

I was there last year October. Fishing was awesome!!!
    20 minutes in I landed a tiger of 7.5 kg!
    We had four fish over 5 kgs for the trip.
    The fishing they do there is very much based on the time of year.
    I cant really give you advise on flies etc; Oct was too late for fly fishing and we were only fishing with conventional tackle.
    We also picked up some nice barbel ...
    Sorry I cant be of more help; just know that there are BIG fish there; our guide told us they picked up a 9.2 kg tiger the week before we got there ...

IMG_8048.jpg
    _DSC0622.jpg
    IMG_2054.JPG

Hi guido. Tell the guide to take you to the T Junction at last light. Biggest tiger our group got at that was 19lbs. Black flies worked best.

Unfortunately the guides weren't very clued up on fly fishing which made it difficult. Hopefully it has changed in the last few years.
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

I heard yesterday, that a 19.5 pounder came out recently on one of Upstreams trips. I'm waiting for the photo.
    I think the record tiger on fly is 22 pounds. Pretty close.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

I last went to the Zambezi (Kalizo - near Katima) December/January 2012/2013.

One thing I noticed is the average fish size has increased. I think it has much to do with the fact catch and release is finally paying off.

Greetings Ladies and Gents,

I have just returned from a trip to Shackletons, the experience far exceeded my expectation. Spent 6 full days fishing up and down stream shackletons, and during the course of the six days, boated 16 weighable fish, with plenty of small ones caught as well. 1 17lbs, 1 16lbs, 1 14lbs, 4 12lbs, 2 10lbs, and the rest between 6 and 9lbs, all caught on fly. Most popular fly was a purple and black brush fly, and then on the last two days, a red and black sparsely tied clouser minnow seemed to be their choice after a steep temperature and water colour change. I was using a 9wt custom built rod, stilton SL6 reel, with 300gr sinking line. Most of the fish were caught in technical areas along the sides of the zambezi, almost all either just after sunrise, or just on sunset, with a very fast retrieve. Thanks to all that provided me with advise, contributed immensely to this trip, as it was my first trip targeting tiger fish. Howard and sherry shackleton are a fantastic couple, thats knowledge of the area and passion for what they do is clearly evident at the lodge. The accommodation is very comfortable, the food out of this world, and the service outstanding. My next trip is already booked in december, the only thing that could possibly have made the trip better was to get a Nembwe on fly, unfortunately they evaded me, hopefully next time.

Guido

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12